Disabled Person Parking Permits

Temporary Disabled Person Parking Permits

Persons with short-term mobility impairments may receive a temporary disabled person parking permit for up to six months as specified by a certifying authority (see below for examples of approved certifying authorities). Temporary disabled person parking permits require a $15 fee.

If the need for the temporary disabled person parking permit exceeds six months, an additional temporary permit may be issued. If the additional permit is applied for within 12 months from the issuance of the first permit, no additional fee is required.

Unlike permanent disabled person parking permits, secondary permits and wheelchair license plates cannot be issued for temporary disabled person parking permits.

To obtain a temporary disabled person parking permit, Florida residents must submit the following documents in-person or by mail to a motor vehicle service center:

  1. A completed disabled person parking permit application, HSMV 83039.
  2. Proof of the disability, as indicated on form HSMV 83039, along with a certifying authority’s Statement of Certification and signature (see below for a list of approved certifiying authorities).
  3. Driver license or ID card. In cases where the severity of the disability prevents a disabled person from physically visiting or being transported to a motor vehicle service center to obtain a driver license or ID card, a certifying physician may sign and complete the exemption section on form HSMV 83146 to exempt the disabled person from having a driver license or ID card number displayed on the parking permit.
  4. A veteran who has been previously evaluated and certified by the United States Department of Veterans Affairs or any branch of the United States Armed Forces as permanently and totally disabled from a service-connected disability may provide a United States Department of Veterans Affairs Form Letter 27-333, or its equivalent. The documentation must have been issued within the 12 months prior to application in lieu of a certificate of disability.

If you are replacing a permit that has been reported lost or stolen, you must also provide form HSMV 83146, Application for Replacement License Plate, Validation Decal or Parking Permit. Completed forms and other required documentation must be presented to a motor vehicle service center.

Certifying medical authorities include:

  • A physician licensed under Chapter 458, Chapter 459 or Chapter 460;
  • A podiatric physician licensed under Chapter 461;
  • An optometrist licensed under Chapter 463;
  • An advanced practice registered nurse licensed under Chapter 464, under the protocol of a licensed physician as stated above;
  • A physician assistant licensed under Chapter 458 or Chapter 459; or
  • A similarly licensed physician from another state if the application is accompanied by documentation of the physician’s licensure in the other state and a form HSMV 83039 is signed by the out-of-state physician verifying his or her knowledge of this state’s eligibility guidelines.