New Resident – Welcome to Florida!

You may be considered a resident of Florida when you:

  • Have started employment or engaged in a trade, profession, or occupation in this state.
  • Have enrolled your children in the public schools of this state.
  • Have registered to vote in this state.
  • Have filed for homestead tax exemption on property in this state.
  • Have lived in this state for a period of more than six consecutive months.

As a new Florida resident, you must obtain a valid Florida driver license within 30 days of establishing residency to drive on Florida roads.  In addition, you must obtain insurance from a Florida insurance agent that is licensed to sell insurance in Florida in order to title and register your vehicle(s), vessel(s), and mobile home(s) within 10 days of establishing residency.


Driver’s License/ID Cards

Applications for driver’s licenses/ID cards must be made in person at any local office offering driver licenses services. When applying for a driver license, you will be given a vision test, however you may be eligible to receive a license without taking a written or road test.

The fee for an initial Florida Class E license (including learner’s permit) is $48.00, a commercial driver license (Class A) license is $75.00 and endorsements are $7.00 each. The fee for an ID Card is $25.00. Most local Tax Collector offices also charge a $6.25 service fee. For a complete list of driver license fees, click here.


Required Documentation

For a list of the required documentation you will need to obtain a Florida driver license or Florida ID card, please click on your applicable residency status below:

U.S. Citizen






For vehicles with a lien:

  1. If the out-of-state title is currently in the possession of an out-of-state lienholder, you must contact the lienholder to request that the title be transferred to Florida.
  2. Regardless of whether the lienholder will transfer the title to Florida or not, you must have your vehicle registered.
    1. If the lienholder refuses to transfer title from the previous state, request for them to send that to you in writing on letterhead. Once you obtain that letter, you may bring it to a motor vehicle service center to apply for a registration.
    2. If the lienholder agrees to have the title transferred to Florida, you may visit a local motor vehicle service center to complete the Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration (HSMV form 82040).

For vehicles without a lien:

  1. Prepare a packet containing the following: (Please note: special circumstances may require additional documentation.)


To locate a service center nearest you, please click here.