Motor Vehicles, Tags & Titles

Liens and Titles

Welcome to FLHSMV’s motor vehicle web page covering liens and titles. Please read through the information below to learn about both topics. Use the relevant links on this page and submenus on the rail to navigate to various corresponding subtopics.

General Information


A lien is when a lienholder (i.e., a bank, dealership, etc.) has a secured interest in a vehicle, mobile home, or vessel in the form of a debt due to the lienholder. The lienholder’s information is placed on either a paper or electronic certificate of title, in addition to the information of the registered owner(s) of the vehicle. The lienholder will be listed on the title until the lien is paid /fully satisfied and the lienholder has filed a lien satisfaction with FLHSMV.

Certificate of Title

A certificate of title in either electronic or paper form is the proof of ownership of a vehicle, mobile home, or vessel in the state of Florida. Most vehicles, mobile homes, or vessels are required to be titled, with the exception of mopeds, motorized bicycles, and trailers weighing less than 2,000 pounds.

You must apply for a title in your name when you purchase a vehicle, mobile home, or vessel; bring a vehicle, mobile home, or vessel into Florida from another state or country; or if the ownership of a vehicle, mobile home, or vessel changes.

Acquiring a Title

In Florida, to obtain a certificate of title you must, at minimum, have the following:

  • Proof of identity: A driver license or identification card from any state, or a passport. Identification must be current and valid.
  • Proof of ownership: A Manufacturer’s Certificate of Origin or out-of-state title
  • A completed Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration (HSMV form 82040).
  • Fees for sales tax and title.
    • If a license plate is purchased, you must have valid Florida insurance and registration fees. (For more information regarding fees, visit FLHSMV’s fees page. For insurance information, visit FLHSMV’s insurance page.)

If you are a military service member or veteran, please visit FLHSMV’s Military and Veteran Information page for title information specific to your military or veteran status.

Titles with two owners

In Florida, vehicles, mobile homes, or vessels that are owned by two or more owners can have the ownership joined by either an “and” or “or.”

Owners joined by “and” share equal responsibility for the vehicle, mobile home, or vessel, and owners must be present, designate a power of attorney, or have the title certificate signed by each owner as seller for the title to be transferred out of their names.

Owners joined by “or” allows either owner to take individual responsibility for the vehicle, mobile home, or vessel, and either owner may be present or may sign a bill of sale for the title to be transferred out of their names.

Please note: When a title with two owners is joined by “or,” and one owner wants to remove their name, that owner becomes the seller, and the second owner becomes the purchaser in the transfer section of the title. A new title is then issued.

Power of Attorney

When necessary, you can provide a general or limited power of attorney to a third party to handle your title and registration. FLHSMV provides a limited Power of Attorney for a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home, or Vessel form (HSMV form 82053) for your use.

Additional Resources: