Disabled Person Parking Permits

Wheelchair License Plate

Persons with long-term mobility impairments, or who are certified as legally blind, may request a wheelchair license plate be issued for a motor vehicle registered in their name, in lieu of receiving a permanent disabled persons parking permit. The fee for a wheelchair license plate is $28 in addition to other applicable registration fees.

Under section 320.084, Florida Statutes, veterans who are confirmed 100 percent disabled from a service-connected disability by a certifying medical authority are eligible for a disabled veteran (DV) license plate at no charge.

Wheelchair license plates must be renewed annually on the applicant’s birthdate. The long-term impairment must be proved at the initial application of the license plate by a certifying medical authority (see list below).

Wheelchair license plates may only be issued for use on the following types of vehicles.

  • Automobiles for private use or lease.
  • Trucks weighing 5,000 pounds or less.
  • Automobiles, which seat fewer than nine passengers and are for hire.
  • Motor homes or truck campers not for hire or commercial use.
  • Heavy trucks with a gross vehicle weight of less than 8,000 pounds.

To obtain a wheelchair symbol license plate, customers must submit the following documents to a motor vehicle service center.

  1. Completed form HSMV 83007, Application for International Wheelchair License Plate, or form HSMV 83039, Application for Disabled Parking Permit.
  2. A copy of the vehicle registration certificate.
  3. Proof of identification with a Florida driver license or ID card.
  4. Proof of Florida insurance for the vehicle.

Certifying medical authorities include:

  • A physician licensed under Chapter 458, Chapter 459 or Chapter 460;
  • A podiatric physician licensed under Chapter 461;
  • An optometrist licensed under Chapter 463 (sight only);
  • An advanced practice registered nurse licensed under Chapter 464, under the protocol of a licensed physician as stated above;
  • A physician assistant licensed under Chapter 458 or Chapter 459; or
  • A similarly licensed physician from another state if the application is accompanied by documentation of the physician’s licensure in the other state and a form HSMV 83039 signed by the out-of-state physician verifying his or her knowledge of this state’s eligibility guidelines.