Motorcycle Rider Education & Endorsements
Ride Proud, Dress Loud
The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) and Florida Rider Training Program (FRTP) endorse “Ride Proud, Dress Loud”; a statewide Motorcycle Conspicuity Campaign. In addition, DHSMV and FRTP provide public awareness education for motorists to look twice, as motorcyclists are everywhere. These statewide initiatives are ongoing and will focus on promoting motorcycle visibility and safety in an effort to reduce fatalities on Florida’s roadways.
Lacking the structural safety advantages of an automobile or truck, motorcyclists are more likely to suffer severe injury or death when involved in a traffic crash. Research suggests that motorcyclists who make themselves more visible, or conspicuous, are less likely to have their right-of-way violated by other vehicles on the roadways.
As such, we’d like to encourage all motorcyclists to Ride Proud. Dress Loud.
Motorcyclist Apparel Safety Tips
- It is important for motorcyclists to wear clothing that is not only protective but visible during all hours of the day.
- While inconspicuous black clothing may be in fashion, it offers little visibility on roadways. Other color categories which are difficult to detect include: gray, beige and other neutrals.
- One of the easiest and most effective ways for a motorcyclist to be seen is by wearing brightly colored upper-torso clothing.
- Reflective decals or materials can also be worn on clothing to increase a motorcyclist’s visibility.
- In addition to clothing choices, motorcyclists can opt to make their bike more visible.
- Motorcyclists can purchase a brightly-colored bike from the factory for higher visibility.
- If one has an existing motorcycle with primarily dark colors, painting the bike a brighter color or adding eye-catching frontal bodywork is an option.
- Motorcyclists can utilize unique lighting options on their motorcycle, such as high beams during the day.
- Strategically placed magnetic reflector strips can be used on the motorcycle for easy detection in the dark.