International Registration Plan
Carrier Service Providers
International Registration Plan (IRP) and International Fuel Tax Agreement (IFTA) account holders may hire third-party agents, known as Carrier Service Providers, to complete IRP and IFTA transactions on behalf of the motor carrier.
A Carrier Service Provider is an individual or company which assists motor carriers in complying with the many regulations and requirements necessary to lawfully operate on highways across North America. A Carrier Service Provider can be a valuable resource for motor carriers. However, Carrier Service Providers are not regulated by the Department, and a motor carrier must be sure to employ experienced, reputable Carrier Service Providers as the motor carrier is ultimately responsible for any activity conducted by a Carrier Service Provider acting on its behalf.
A Power of Attorney (POA) is required when someone other than the IRP or IFTA account holder is given permission to conduct business on the behalf of the account holder. It is the responsibility of the motor carrier to keep the POA current. Should there be changes to a selection on the POA the carrier must file a new POA with the Bureau of Commercial Vehicle and Driver Services (BCVDS). BCVDS will only accept the approved POA form. If a company employee or a family member that is not an officer or director of the motor carrier is to conduct business in the account, a POA is also required.
The completion of a POA does not relieve the account holder of the legal obligations associated with the account. The account holder is ultimately responsible for the payment of registration fees and taxes, as well as all acts and omissions of the stated individual or Carrier Service Provider.
The POA will continue to be honored until written notification is received to rescind or change the selection of an agent or agents to act as POA.
The POA form can be found here. Carrier Service Providers are also requested to fill out a Carrier Service Provider Contact sheet found here. Please note that this is not a registration and is for informational purposes only.
IRP and IFTA transactions will not be accepted or processed from Carrier Service Providers without a fully executed POA.
Carrier Service Providers may conduct the following transactions:
- Completion and submission of IRP/IFTA transactional forms on which the accountholder is not required to sign an attestation;
- Completion and submission of IFTA Quarterly Tax Returns;
- Making payments on behalf of the accountholder;
- Receiving IRP and IFTA credentials on behalf of the account holder; and
- Representing the accountholder in audit and/or collection matters.
- NOTE: Carrier Service Providers are served beginning at 10:00 a.m. each day at the Tallahassee office.
Carrier Service Providers may not:
- Sign any forms requiring an attestation (original IRP and IFTA applications, Recordkeeping Agreement, etc.);
- Use its address as a physical location to meet base state requirements;
- Change the physical or mailing address of the carrier;
- Order additional IFTA decals on behalf of the carrier; and
- Receive E-File login information.
For questions, or to submit the POA and Carrier Service Provider Contact Sheet, please call (850) 617-2853.
Dave Kerner, Executive Director