Military & Veterans Information

Driver Licenses & ID Cards

Under section 322.21, Florida Statutes, veterans with a 100 percent service-connected disability are eligible for a no fee driver license, with endorsements, or an identification card. The same veterans are also entitled to a no fee Veteran’s designation on their driver license or ID card. The “Veteran” designation can be used to show proof of status for discounts at participating merchants. Qualified veterans should provide a valid identification card from the United States Department of Veterans Affairs, indicating the 100 percent, total and permanent service-connected disability rating.

Under section 320.084, Florida Statutes, 100 percent disabled veterans are eligible for a “DV” license plate at no charge to the applicant.

Homeless veterans, their spouse and children are eligible for a free Florida ID card. You must visit a driver license service center for an ID card renewal or replacement.

Information regarding the REAL ID required documents can be found by selecting the applicable citizenship status below.

U.S. Citizen





Special Designation

Veterans who live in Florida can add a veteran designation to their driver license or ID card. To add Veteran to a license or ID card, veterans can visit any local service center. Replacement driver licenses are free to veterans only adding the “Veteran” designation.

To add Veteran to a license or ID card, veterans can visit any local service center. Be prepared to bring the following:

  • Present their DD-214, which shows their honorable discharge from active duty.
  • Visit our What To Bring page to ensure they have all the other documents required.

Veterans who need to obtain a copy of their DD-214, may request it through the National Archives, which provides information on how to make the request online at


Florida Residents Deployed Out-of-State

Early Renewals: If your license is scheduled to expire when you are deployed or stationed outside Florida, the department encourages you to renew before you deploy or move. Florida drivers may renew a license up to 18 months prior to the expiration date printed on the license.

Online Renewals: You may renew your license online at MyDMV Portal. In addition, you may order a replacement license at any time if you lose your license or if your address changes.

Once you have completed an online renewal, you can find out when your license is printed and mailed by viewing our DL/ID Card Tracking System. Enter your driver license number to track the issuance. Please allow 7 to 10 days to receive the license in the mail.

Extensions: If you are not eligible to renew your Class E (Operator) driver license online, the department can issue a military extension card that extends your driving privilege continuously each year until: 90 days after you are discharged from military service, you return to Florida to reside, or you obtain a  new driver license or ID card from Florida or another state.

To receive the military extension, you must complete the Military Personnel and Dependents Affidavit (HSMV form 73641) certifying active duty status in the U.S. Armed Forces while stationed outside of Florida and provide a copy of the member’s current military orders.

Please note: Military extension cards may not be accepted in some countries when serving overseas.


Out-of-State Residents Deployed to Florida

Military service members and their families who live and drive in Florida, may do so with a valid out-of-state driver license. There is no requirement to obtain a Florida driver license when military and their family members move to Florida, take a job, or enroll their children in public schools.


Service member Emergency Contact Information

By registering your emergency contacts, you provide law enforcement officials with information on who they should contact during an emergency, such as a crash. The department houses the information in a secure database that only law enforcement officers can access.

Even if you previously registered your contacts, we recommend that you update the registry if your contacts change or if they move or change their phone number.

Not only should service members make sure to register your emergency contacts into the Department’s Emergency Contact Information system, it’s equally a good idea to make sure loved ones update their information too, especially during a deployment if the service member is the emergency contact. Anyone who has a Florida driver license or ID card can register their emergency contact information into the system. Children as young as five years old are eligible for a Florida ID card.