What to Bring



Immigrants renewing, replacing or applying for a new driver license or ID card in person must submit the following documents before a REAL ID-compliant driver license or ID card can be issued. Please note that the name assigned to the Social Security Number (SSN) must match the name that will appear on the Florida driver license or ID card. Customers who have recently changed their name should update their records with the Social Security Administration before applying for a driver license or ID card.

1. Primary Identification

An original of one of the following documents with complete name:

  • Valid alien registration receipt card (green card, form I-551);
  • I-551 stamp in passport or on I-94;
  • Immigration judge’s order, containing the customer’s A-number (admissions number),
    granting asylum;
  • I-797, containing the customer’s A-number, stating the customer has been granted asylum; or
  • I-797, or another form from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), with the customer’s A-number, stating the customer’s application for refugee status is approved.

2. Proof of Social Security

An original of one of the following documents with complete name and complete SSN:

  • Social Security card (with the customer’s current name);
  • W-2 form (not handwritten);
  • Pay check/stub;
  • SSA-1099; or
  • Any 1099 (not handwritten).

Customers without an SSN can find assistance on our What To Bring FAQ page.

3. Proofs of Residential Address

Customers may not use their current driver license or ID card as proof of residential address.

Customers must submit TWO different documents with their Florida residential address (printouts or faxes of these documents are acceptable). We will no longer accept out-of-state or U.S. territory addresses for applicants obtaining a Florida Class E license or identification card.

 Residential address documents include, but are not limited to:

  • Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement;
  • Florida voter registration card;
  • Florida vehicle registration or title (print a duplicate registration at MyDMV Portal);
  • Utility bill;
  • A utility hook up or work order dated within 60 days of the application;
  • Automobile payment booklet;
  • Selective service card;
  • Medical or health card with address listed;
  • Current homeowner insurance policy or bill;
  • Current automobile insurance policy or bill;
  • Educational institution transcript forms for the current school year;
  • Unexpired professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.;
  • W-2 form or 1099 form;
  • Form DS2019, Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor (J-1) status;
  • A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider or a half-way house verifying they receive mail for the customer. The letter must be accompanied by a Certification of Address form;
  • Mail from financial institutions including checking, savings, or investment account statements;
  • Mail from federal, state, county, or city government agencies; or
  • FDLE registration form completed by local sheriff department.

Customers who do not have the above documents in their name may provide two proofs of residential address from a parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom they reside and a Certification of Address form.

In accordance with the REAL ID Act, customers are not required to present these documents for subsequent renewals unless their information changes (e.g., name, address). However, if the customer is applying for a Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) or Commercial Driver License (CDL), they must present proof of residence documents as outlined below.

Customers who have legally changed their name by marriage, divorce or court order must have their name changed on their USCIS documents.

Proof of Residential Address for CLP and CDL Holders

All CLP or CDL applicants must present two proofs of Florida residential address in their name. Applicants can present two proofs from List A or one proof from List A and one proof from List B.

LIST A for CLP / CDL – item presented must be in the applicant’s name.

1. A recent lease or rental agreement for the residence with a term of 6 months or greater in the name of the driver (must be dated within the last six months)

2. Current Florida voter registration card

3. Florida vehicle or vessel registration or title

4. Current homeowner’s insurance policy or bill

5. Current utility bill

6. Recent cellular or landline telephone bill (must be dated within the last 60 days)

7. Recent internet service provider bill (must be dated within the last 60 days)

8. Latest property tax bill

LIST B for CLP / CDL – item presented must be in the applicant’s name.

1. Latest W-2 form or 1099 form (must be dated within the last six months)

2. Recent bank statement (must be dated within the last 60 days)

3. Recent credit card statement (must be dated within the last 60 days)

4. Latest military orders

5. Recent pay stub (must be dated within the last 60 days)

6. Recent official government documents (must be dated within the last 60 days)

CLP or CDL applicants unable to provide a proof of residential address from list A, must provide a Declaration of Domicile filed with the Clerk of the Circuit Court pursuant to Florida Statutes section 222.17 AND one proof of residential address document from list B.

CLP & CDL applicants cannot use a Certification of Address (HSMV-71120) for licensure.