What to Bring
Canadians renewing, replacing or applying for a new driver license or ID card in person must submit the following documents before a REAL-ID compliant driver license or ID card can be issued. Please note that the name assigned to the Social Security Number (SSN) must match the name that will appear on the Florida driver license or ID card. Customers who have recently changed their name should update their records with the Social Security Administration before applying for a driver license or ID card.
1. Primary Identification
An original or certified copy of one of the following documents:
- Valid Canadian passport;
- Original or certified Canadian birth certificate;
- Canadian naturalization certificate; or
- Canadian certificate of citizenship.
2. Proof of Social Security
An original of one of the following documents with complete name and SSN:
- Social Security card (with customer’s current name);
- W-2 form (not handwritten);
- Pay check/stub;
- SSA-1099; or
- Any 1099 (not handwritten).
For customers without an SSN, please click here.
3. Proofs of Residential Address
Customers may not use their current driver license or ID card as proof of residential address. Customers must submit TWO different documents with their residential address (printouts or faxes of these documents are acceptable). Residential address documents include, but are not limited to:
- Deed, mortgage, monthly mortgage statement, mortgage payment booklet or residential rental/lease agreement;
- Florida voter registration card;
- Florida vehicle registration or title (print a duplicate registration at www.GoRenew.com);
- Utility bill;
- A utility hook up or work order dated within 60 days of the application;
- Automobile payment booklet;
- Selective service card;
- Medical or health card with address listed;
- Current homeowner insurance policy or bill;
- Current automobile insurance policy or bill;
- Educational institution transcript forms for the current school year;
- Unexpired professional license issued by a government agency in the U.S.;
- W-2 form or 1099 form;
- Form DS2019, certificate of eligibility for exchange visitor (J-1) status;
- A letter from a homeless shelter, transitional service provider or a half-way house verifying they receive mail for the customer. The letter must be accompanied by a Certification of Address form;
- Mail from financial institutions including checking, savings or investment account statements;
- Mail from federal, state, county or city government agencies; or
- FDLE registration form completed by local sheriff department.
Customers who do not have the above documents in their name may provide two proofs of residential address from a parent, step-parent, legal guardian or other person with whom they reside and a Certification of Address form.
Customers who have legally changed their name by marriage, divorce or court order must have their name changed on their Canadian driver license and/or passport before applying for a name change on their Florida driver license or ID card.
Canadians in the country without a work visa are not required to obtain a letter from the Social Security Administration stating they were never issued an SSN (also known as an SSA refusal letter).