Name and Address Changes

Name and address changes must be updated on BOTH your driver license/ID Card and title/registration within 30 days after changing your name or address. Please read the following to find out how to complete name/address changes as easily and quickly as possible:

  • First, update your Florida Driver’s License/ID Card (Please note: Name changes must first be made with the Federal Social Security Administration in order to have your name changed on a driver’s license or ID card.) Please allow 24 to 48 hours after completing the name change with the Social Security Administration.
  • Second, update your Florida title(s) and registration(s)


Driver’s License/ID Cards Name and Address Change

Name changes must first be made with the Federal Social Security Administration in order to have your name updated on a Florida driver’s license or ID card.  All name changes must be completed in person at a local office; however address changes can be completed online via MyDMV Portal or also in person at a local office.


Name and Address Change Required Documentation

For a list of the required documentation you will need to complete a name or address change, please click on your applicable residency status below:

U.S. Citizen





Name and Address Changes on a Title/Registration

By updating a new name/address on your driver’s license, the new name/address will automatically update on your electronic title, however, a printed title will still reflect your previous name/address until a new title is applied for using an Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration (HSMV form 82040). If there is a lien on a paper title, the lienholder may not allow a new title to be printed. It is permissible to leave the amended name/address unchanged on the printed title because the department vehicle ownership record will be updated when you update your driver information.

Once a name/address has been changed, a new registration must be issued reflecting the new name/address by submitting a completed Application For Duplicate or Lost in Transit/Reassignment for a Motor Vehicle, Mobile Home or Vessel Title Certificate (HSMV form 82101).


For additional questions, contact our Customer Service Center at (850) 617-2000.

To locate an office near you, please visit our locations page.