Liens and Titles

Paper Liens and Titles


Paper Title

The department encourages all owners to maintain their titles electronically. However, if all liens on your vehicle have been satisfied, an electronic title can be transferred to a paper format in one of three ways; online, via mail, or in person.

If you are a military service member or veteran, please visit the department’s Military and Veteran Information Section.


Request a paper title online

Owners with electronic titles can request a paper title through the department’s website MyDMV Portal for a fee of $4.50. Once the request is completed online, the paper title will then be mailed to the address reflected on the owner’s record. Paper titles are generally received within 7 – 10 business days. Please note: titles may not be printed at home or picked up in an service center after this request has been made.


Request a paper title via mail

The customer can mail the following to the local tax collector’s office for processing:

  • Photo copy of a valid picture ID
  • Written request to have the electronic title printed
  • Print electronic title fee of $2.50 (Printed titles are typically received by the customer within 3-4 weeks.)


Request a paper title in person

A title printed and provided to the customer in an expedited manner is referred to as a fast title and must be requested in person and will be issued and printed the same day. There is a $10 additional fee for this service. Fast titles may be obtained by visiting a motor vehicle service center.


Duplicate Paper Title

If your title is currently in paper form and has been lost, stolen or damaged, a duplicate paper title can be obtained from the department. To obtain a duplicate paper title an owner must mail  or bring the following to a motor vehicle service center.

If the original title is located after a duplicate has been issued, the original is no longer valid because it was replaced, and the original should be destroyed or forwarded to the department.



If your title is currently in paper form, you will need to bring your paper title with you when trading your vehicle at a dealership.

If your title is currently in paper form and you are selling your vehicle, rather than trading it at a dealership, you will need your paper title in order to transfer ownership to the purchaser.  The department recommends conducting the transfer in one of our motor vehicle service centers to ensure your name is removed from the vehicle ownership record.


Additional Resources: