Liens and Titles

Frequently Asked Questions

  • Is it legal to give a car as a gift to a family member, or do I have to put a dollar figure on it (for example $1)?

    It is legal to give a car to a family member or anyone else, however, a bill of sale or an affidavit should be completed by both parties to verify this information for the Department of Revenue.

  • If the vehicle is purchased by joint ownership, why do both parties have to be present? Can I sign for my spouse?

    When a first-time joint ownership is applied for, whether joint ownership is connected by “and” or “or”, the signatures of each intended owner are required on the application for Florida title, per section 319.22, Florida Statutes.

  • How do I obtain a new motor vehicle title if my deceased spouse is listed on the title?

    As of July 1, 2017, if a title includes the name of both spouses, the surviving spouse may choose to request a free title replacement removing the name of the deceased spouse. As of July 1, 2022, if a title is in the name of the deceased spouse, the surviving spouse may choose to request a free title replacement if the sole change is to change the ownership of the motor vehicle from the name of the deceased spouse to the surviving spouse. To obtain a replacement title, complete form Application for Surviving Spouse Transfer of Florida Certificate of Title for a Motor Vehicle (HSMV form 82152) and submit to a motor vehicle service center along with a certified copy of the death certificate and proof of identity (driver license/ID card/valid passport). A marriage certificate will also be required unless the name of the surviving spouse is shown on the death certificate. There is an expedited title fee of $10.00 to receive the title the same day.

    Please note: Replacement title fees are exempt; however, registration fees resulting from the title change will apply.