What to Bring

Frequently Asked Questions

  • May I still get a driver license or ID card even if I do not have a Social Security Number (SSN)?

    U.S. Citizens and Immigrants
    U.S. Citizens and Immigrants must obtain proof of a social security number issued by the Social Security Administration. For more information related to obtaining a Social Security Number or requesting a replacement, please visit https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/.

    Individuals with a non-immigrant status must also provide proof of a social security number, unless their immigration status does not authorize them to work in the U.S. Non-immigrants providing work authorized documentation that are not work authorized must obtain a letter of ineligibility from SSA indicating they are not eligible to obtain an SSN. The reason for the ineligibility cannot be because they failed to present the necessary documents. For more information related to Non-Immigrant requirements for obtaining a Social Security Number, please visit https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/ss5doc.htm.

    For more information about the REAL ID Act, please visit https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/real-id-faqs.

  • May I use my out-of-state license as my primary identification document? If not, what can I provide?

    No. Out-of-state driver licenses are not accepted as primary identification.

    Choose your citizenship status below for a list of accepted primary identification documents.

  • I recently got married/divorced and moved to Florida. What documentation must I provide in order to change my name on my new Florida driver license or ID card?

    If you have legally changed your name by marriage or court order, you must submit an original or certified marriage certificate(s) or court order(s). Photocopies are not accepted unless certified by the issuing authority. You must show documentation that links your birth name to your current name.

  • I have a valid out-of-state driver license. Will I have to retake the driving test or written test to get a Florida driver license?

    No. Although out-of-state driver licenses or IDs are not allowed as primary identification, the department will accept them in exchange for written and driving exams. However, every out-of-state driver is required to take the vision test, and other testing may be applicable based on any issues that indicate that the driver may not be able to safely drive a vehicle.

  • My driver license or ID card is not REAL ID-compliant since it does not show a star in the upper right corner. How long am I allowed to use my current Florida driver license or ID card for official purposes, such as airport security?

    If your current driver license or ID card does not have a star in the upper right corner, the Transportation Security Administration will stop accepting it as proof of identification at airports on May 7, 2025. After May 7, 2025, you will need a REAL ID compliant credential as proof of identity for the TSA security screening. Individuals currently seeking access to military bases and most Federal facilities must present REAL ID-compliant identification. A United States passport may also be used in place of a REAL ID-compliant card for official identification.

  • What if I have never had a driver license anywhere before?

    Applicants for a first-time original Florida driver license must provide two forms of identification, proof of date of birth, proof of residential address, and proof of social security number. Non US Citizens must present proof of legal presence.

    All applicants must show proof that they have completed a traffic law and substance abuse education course and will be required to pass vision and hearing tests, road rules and road sign tests, plus a driving test.

    Applicants for a learner’s license must be at least 15 years old and must present a parental consent form. Go to the complete list of learner’s license information, rules and restrictions.

    The same identification requirements for citizens and proof of legal presence for non-citizens are required to get an identification card. See how to apply, and age and fee requirements.

  • How long is my Class E driver license valid and what is the cost to renew?

    Florida Class E (non-commercial) driver licenses for citizens and immigrants are valid for eight years for individuals under 80 years and six years for individuals over 79. The renewal fee is $48.

  • If I am a non-immigrant with legal presence and I want to renew my Class E or Commercial Driver License (CDL), how long will the license be valid and what is the cost?

    Driver licenses and ID cards for non-immigrant customers with legal presence will be issued in accordance with the amount of time approved by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Non-immigrant customers are required to submit a Social Security card (if a card has been issued). The cost is $48 to renew a Class E driver license or $75.00 for a Commercial Driver License (CDL) renewal. The word “TEMPORARY” will appear in red on the front, right lower margin of the driver license or ID card.

  • I have a Class E driver license with a motorcycle endorsement that is due for renewal; what is the cost?

    The renewal fee is $48 plus $7 for the motorcycle endorsement.

  • What is the fee for an ID card for a child and how long will the ID card be valid?

    Original, renewal and replacement ID cards are $25.00, regardless of the age of the customer. Children ages 5 through 14 are eligible for an ID card and it is valid for four years. After age 14, ID cards are valid for eight years.

  • Am I allowed to use a Class E driver license to operate a motorcycle?

    New motorcyclists must take and pass the Basic RiderCourse (BRC) or Basic RiderCourse updated (BRCu) through a FRTP authorized Sponsor before they can have the motorcycle endorsement added to their license, per section 322.12(5)(a), Florida Statutes. After successfully passing the RiderCourse, you must obtain your endorsement within (1) year by visiting a driver license office or tax collector office that issues driver licenses and inform them that you completed the course. Upon providing proper ID and paying the required endorsement fees, your Class E license will be issued with a motorcycle endorsement.

    No one under 16 years of age may legally operate or be licensed to operate any of the following two or three-wheel motor vehicles on Florida roads, streets or highways: motorcycles, mopeds, motor-driven cycles, motorized scooters or electric helper-motor bicycles as defined in s. 316.003(2) F.S.

    If you are coming from another state and your license is endorsed for motorcycle operation, Florida will reciprocate the endorsement and the motorcycle course will not be required, except Alabama.  Alabama licenses with a motorcycle endorsement included will be reciprocated only if a Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic Rider Course (BRC) completion card is presented with it.

    For more information, visit the Motorcycle Rider Education and Endorsements webpage.

  • I would like to surrender my Florida Class E driver license and obtain an ID card. What is the cost and how long will the ID card be valid?

    The ID card will cost $25 and will be valid for eight years.

  • How many times may I elect to attend traffic school for a citation to keep points from appearing on my driving record?

    A person with a Class E driver license will be allowed to elect the traffic school option to avoid points one time within a 12-month period and no more than five times within a 10-year period. Check your eligibility with our Driver License Check tool.

  • What happens to the documents I provide to prove my identity?

    After the documents are scanned into your record, they will be returned to you immediately following the service transaction. The scanned documents are stored on a secure database and are for official purposes only.

  • Can veterans get a special designation on a driver license or ID card?

    Yes. U.S. Military veterans can add a veteran designation to their driver license or ID card. To add this designation:

    1. Present a discharge document, such as the DD214, that shows an honorable or under honorable conditions discharge from active duty; and

    Veterans who need to obtain a copy of their DD-214, may request it through the National Archives, which provides information on how to make the request online at www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/.

  • What should I do if my license is set to expire while I am deployed or out-of-state with the military?

    If your license is scheduled to expire when you are deployed or stationed outside Florida, the Department encourages you to renew before you deploy or move. Florida drivers may renew a license up to 18 months prior to the expiration date printed on the license.

    If you are out-of-state or country with a digital image license (does not have a blue sticker or no-photo), and interested in renewing your license by mail, use our Driver License check tool where you can enter your Florida driver license number, check the status of your driver license and if eligible download a renewal application.

    If you are not eligible to renew online at MyDMV Portal and hold a Class E (Operator) driver license, the department can issue a military extension card that extends the expiration date of the license you currently hold until 90 days after you permanently return to Florida or are discharged from the military. You may delay the purchase of a driver license renewal by requesting this free extension card. Download an application for a Military Extension card. If you have a Commercial Driver License, (Class A,B, or C) your license must be renewed, because we cannot extend commercial licenses.

    If you are interested in renewing your license by mail, use our Driver License check tool where you can enter your Florida driver license number, check the status of your driver license and if eligible download a renewal application.

    Military extension cards may not be accepted in some countries when serving overseas.

  • If I am in the military and stationed in Florida, am I required to obtain a Florida driver license?

    Military service members and their families who live and drive in Florida, may do so with a valid out-of-state driver license. There is no requirement to obtain a Florida driver license when military and their family members move to Florida, take a job or enroll their children in public schools.