Driver Licenses & ID Cards
Licensing Requirements for Teens & Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) Laws
Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL) laws — basically, laws for drivers who are minors — allow young drivers to safely gain driving experience under lower-risk conditions before obtaining full driving privileges. These laws outline limits and restrictions for new drivers ages 15, 16 and 17. Florida’s GDL laws are designed to help teens gradually — and safely — build their skills and experience behind the wheel. It is important for teens and their parents to understand these laws and obey them.
Requirements for Minors Getting Learner’s License
- Must be at least 15 years old
- If under 18 years old, must have a signed/notarized Parental Consent Form (step-parents may not sign unless they have legally adopted the minor child)
- Proof of Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education (TLSAE) course completion
- Have taken vision and hearing exams
- Passed Class E Knowledge Test
- Prepare for the exam by studying the Official Florida Driver License Handbook
- 50 multiple-choice questions about traffic laws and traffic signs; 40 correct answers (80%) to pass
Requirements for Minors Getting Operator’s License
- Must be at least 16 years old
- Hold Learner’s license for 12 months or age 18 (whichever comes first)
- Have driven at least 50 hours with Learner’s license (10 of which were at night)
- Provide signed Certification of Minor Driving Experience Form
- NO moving violation convictions for one year since learner’s date of issuance (OR may have one moving violation as long as adjudication was withheld)
- Passed Driving Skills Test
- The vehicle used for the driving test must have a current registration and be insured.
Note: The minor must provide documents needed to establish proof of identity, proof of social security number and proof of residential address. Please visit GatherGoGet.com for a list of acceptable documents.
|Driving Curfews for Minors|
|Learner's License||Daylight hours first three months license issued--10pm after three months||ALWAYS accompanied by a licensed driver 21+|
|16 year old with Driver's License||NOT between 11pm to 6am||Unless driving to or from work OR accompanied by a licensed driver 21+|
|17 year old with Driver's License||NOT between 1am to 5am||Unless driving to or from work OR accompanied by a licensed driver 21+|
Driving is a Privilege — Don’t Lose It
- Parents can rescind driver license
- The parent or guardian who signs the Parental Consent Form can rescind responsibility for the minor’s driving and cancel their license.
- 6+ points within 12 months —“Business Purposes Only” for one year
- If the minor receives six points on their driving record within a 12 month period, their driving privileges are automatically restricted to Business Purposes Only for 12 months or until they are 18, whichever happens first. If they receive additional points during this restricted period, the restriction is extended 90 days for each additional point.
- Zero Tolerance
- Drivers under the age of 21 with a blood alcohol level of .02% or more will have their license immediately suspended for six months. A second offense will result in a one year suspension. Refusal to submit to testing (first offense) results in a suspension of 12 months; 18 months on a second offense.
- NO moving violation convictions for one year from Learner’s License date of issuance
- If the minor receives a moving traffic conviction while they have a Learner’s License, the one-year period they are required to hold their Learner’s License will be extended for one year from the date of the conviction or until they are 18 years old, whichever happens first.
- Must be in compliance with school attendance, or ineligible to obtain or maintain license
- If the minor is not in compliance with school attendance, their driving privilege can be suspended until proof is provided that they have attended school for 30 consecutive days.
- Convicted of tobacco possession
- If the minor is convicted for possession of tobacco or nicotine products, their Learner’s License will be revoked for a minimum of 30 days.