Licensing Requirements for Teens, Graduated Driver License Laws and Driving Curfews
Traffic Laws for Florida Teens
In addition to traffic laws for all drivers, there are additional requirements that apply to drivers who are minors.
- NO moving violation convictions for one year from learner’s license date of issuance
- If the minor receives a moving traffic conviction while they have a learner’s license, the one-year period they are required to hold their learner’s license will be extended for one year from the date of the conviction or until they are 18 years old, whichever happens first.
- Section 322.161, Florida Statutues
- Compliance with school attendance
- If the minor is not in compliance with school attendance, their driving privilege can be suspended, or the minor may be ineligible to obtain a license until providing proof that they have attended school for 30 consecutive days.
- Section 322.091, Florida Statutes
- Zero Tolerance
- Drivers under the age of 21 with a blood alcohol level of .02% or more will have their license immediately suspended for six months. A second offense will result in a one year suspension. Refusal to submit to testing (first offense) results in a suspension for a period of 12 months and 18 months for a second offense.
- Section 322.2616, Florida Statutes
- 6+ points within 12 months “Business Purposes Only” restriction
- If the minor receives six points on their driving record within a 12-month period, their driver license is automatically restricted to “Business Purposes Only” for 12 months or until they are 18, whichever happens first. If they receive additional points during this restricted period, the restriction is extended 90 days for each additional point.
- Parents can rescind license
- The parent or guardian who signs the Parental Consent Form can rescind responsibility for the minor’s driving privilege and cancel their license. For more information click here.
- Section 322.10, Florida Statutes
- Convicted of tobacco possession
- If the minor is convicted for possession of tobacco or nicotine products, their learner’s license will be revoked for a minimum of 30 days.
- Section 322.056, Florida Statutes
Graduated Driver License
|Learner's License||Daylight hours for first three |
months after license issued -
until 10 p.m. after three months
|Driver's License |
16 years old
|NOT between 11 p.m. to 6 a.m.||Unless driving to or from work OR accompanied by a licensed driver 21+|
|Driver's License |
17 years old
|NOT between 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.||Unless driving to or from work OR accompanied by a licensed driver 21+|
322.1615(1) – Minimum age of 15 required for learner’s license
322.161(1)(a) – Minimum duration to hold a learner’s license
322.05(1) – Minimum age of 16 for Class E license
322.05(2)(a) – Learner’s license required for 12 months
322.05(3) – Required supervised driving for 50 hours, 10 at night
322.16(2) – Nighttime driving restrictions for 16
322.16(3) – Nighttime driving restrictions for 17