General Information

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What if I have never had a driver license anywhere before?

    In order for Florida credentials to be compliant with the Federal Real ID Act, applicants must bring in certain documentation to prove identity. For a full list of required documents, please refer to our What to Bring website.

    First time license applicants will also need to complete a 4-hour Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education course, pass a written exam, vision test, and driving test.

  • What if I have had a driver license from another state or country?

    Please visit our What to Bring website for a complete listing of documents needed and other information related to obtaining your driver license or ID card.

    The department will reciprocate a license from another state; however, persons with licenses from other countries may need to complete certain Florida licensing requirements, including a 4-hour Traffic Law and Substance Abuse Education course, a written exam, or driving test.

    A vision test is required for all original issuances.

  • What if I am in the military and have a Florida driver license or ID card?

    Please visit our Military page for more information.

  • How do I pay or dispute a citation?

    For information on a citation received in Florida, please visit our Traffic Citation page.


    Out-of-State Citations: All 50 states and Washington, DC have websites with motor vehicle information for consumers. Some states have separate agencies for driver licensing, vehicle registration and highway patrol (state police). Other states’ motor vehicle administrative agency websites can be found on our Other States webpage.

  • There are errors on my driver license record. How can I get them corrected?

    Contact the department Customer Service Center at (850) 617-2000 to have the record reviewed. Corrections, if any, will be processed as quickly as possible.

  • How to I apply for voter registration?

    You can apply for voter registration while doing your driver license business! A driver license examiner will ask you if you would like to apply for voter registration, change your address or party affiliation and provide you with an application of voter registration or changes at the time you receive your license. Your voter registration application is then forwarded to your local county supervisor of elections office. Your official registration card will be mailed later from your local supervisor of elections office.

    Or, apply for voter registration or change your voter registration address on-line at the Florida Division of Elections website.

    Voter Registration Concerns/Problems? – If you have questions, concerns or inquiries, please contact your local county supervisor of elections.

    Note: You cannot apply for voter registration unless you are a U.S. citizen. A lawful permanent resident, alien non-resident or other non-immigrant is not a U.S. citizen for purposes of voter registration.