Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Home | Español | Driver License | Vehicle Tags & Titles | Florida Highway Patrol | Contact Us | Forms | Office Locations

Just moved to Florida and need to get a driver license and your car registered?

Arrow Graphic If you have an out-of-state license, you may be able to convert it to a Florida driver's license without having to take a written or road test. Review the requirements for citizens and non-citizens.
Arrow Graphic Obtain vehicle insurance from a company licensed to do business in Florida. In other words, visit a Florida insurance agent.
Arrow Graphic Take proof of identity (required for all owners), proof of Florida insurance, original out-of-state title, and verification of physical inspection of the motor vehicle's *vehicle identification number (VIN), completed on a form HSMV 82040, Application for Certificate of Title With/Without Registration, to your local Florida county tax collector's office.

When applying for title, ALL owners are required to sign a completed application for title (HSMV 82040). If an owner is unable to sign the form in the presence of a tax collector employee, he/she may sign his/her appropriate portion of the form and give to the co-owner for submission to the agency. Remember: proof of identity is required for all owners.
  *Vehicle identification number (VIN) verification is required for all USED motor vehicles not currently titled in Florida, including trailers with a weight of 2,000 pounds or more.

The VIN must be physically inspected by one of the following:
  1. A law enforcement officer from any state.
  2. A licensed Florida or out of state motor vehicle dealer.
    NOTE: If the VIN is verified by an out of state motor vehicle dealer, the verification must be submitted on their letterhead stationery.
  3. A Florida DMV Compliance Examiner/Inspector, DMV or tax collector employee.
  4. A notary public commissioned by the state of Florida.
  5. Provost Marshal (an officer who supervises the military police of a command) or a commissioned officer in active military service, with a rank of 2nd Lieutenant or higher or an LNC, "Legalman, Chief Petty Officer, E-7".
If the out-of-state title is currently in the possession of an out-of-state lienholder, the tax collector's office will assist you in contacting the lienholder to obtain the title. The lien will be recorded on the Florida title when issued and will be mailed to the lienholder.
Arrow Graphic In the state of Florida, a motor vehicle is required by law to be registered within 30 days of the owner either becoming employed, placing children in public school, or establishing residency. Registering your motor vehicle goes hand in hand with the titling process.

Sales Tax Information for Motor Vehicles
You bought it more than six months ago
If the motor vehicle was purchased six months or more before being brought into Florida, Florida sales or use tax or local discretionary sales surtax do not apply. You'll need to show proof that you used it for six months or more in another state or jurisdiction.

You bought it less than six months ago
If the motor vehicle was purchased and used less than six months in another state, territory of the United States or the District of Columbia, the full amount of the six percent Florida sales or use tax and local discretionary sales surtax is required. However, that is offset by the sales tax you paid in the prior jurisdiction. For example, if you owe 6% to Florida, but you paid 4% to another state, you will only owe 2% to Florida.

Other helpful information
Keys to Obtaining Your Florida Driver's License or Identification Card

Florida Driver's Handbook

Changing Your Address

Frequently asked questions on Registration of Motor Vehicles

Frequently asked questions on Getting a Hassle Free Title

Facts for Florida Vessel Owners

Organ Donor

Voter Registration


Link to MyFlorida.comMyFlorida.com       Privacy Statement | Disclaimer
Copyright ©2008 State of Florida