Link to   Skip to Global Links Skip to Search Skip to Main Navigation Skip to Content
Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
HSMV Home Highway Patrol Driver Licenses Motor Vehicles Español 
Search HSMV

How to File a Mobile Home
or Recreational Vehicle Complaint


All residential mobile/manufactured homes must comply with the Federal Manufactured Home Construction and Safety Standards. Since June 15, 1976, manufacturers have confirmed compliance with the Standards by attaching a red Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) label to the back of each transportable section of a home produced.

The extent to which HUD can help a homeowner resolve a complaint depends on the seriousness of the problem. In cases where safety-related defects in homes create an unreasonable risk of injury or death to the occupants, manufacturers must correct the defect in a short period. HUD cannot require correction unless the defects were introduced into the home during the manufacturing process. The State of Florida regulates on-site installations and investigates complaints relating to installation.

If a problem arises with a mobile/manufactured home, the first contact should be the retailer. Most problems can be eliminated quickly. If the retailer cannot help, the second contact should be the manufacturer. Manufacturers, for the most part, are quick to respond to consumers.

It is important to put a complaint in writing. Also, make a copy to keep with your records. The letter should include the serial number of the home with a list of the problems. List any known factors that contributed to the problem. Also list any secondary issues related to the problem.

If the retailer and the manufacturer do not resolve your concerns, contact our consumer complaint office in Tampa or complete the Complaint Registration Form found at this website.




Return to Top