FHP Training Academy
Physical Abilities Test
- exiting a vehicle/opening a trunk
- running 220 yards
- completing an obstacle course
- dragging a 150-pound dummy
- completing the obstacle course a second time
- running 220 yards
- dry firing a weapon six times with each hand
- placing items in and closing a trunk/entering a vehicle
Participants must complete the course in 6 minutes and 4 seconds in order to pass the test.
Participants begin the PAT seated in a full-size automobile with their seat belt on, and their hands on the steering wheel at the ten and two o’clock positions. Each participant wears a pull away flag belt, with a flag over each hip, around his or her waist. A non-firing handgun and a baton are lying in the bottom of the vehicle’s closed trunk.
- Participants remove their hands from the steering wheel and unfasten their seat belt. Exit the car and run to the trunk.
- Participants then touch each flag with the opposite hand, from behind their back, and take the belt off.
- Remove the handgun and baton from the trunk.
- Leaving the trunk open, move toward the chair or stool and place the handgun on the stool while keeping the baton.
- Participants then run 220 yards on a flat surface to the obstacle course.
- Participants then enter the obstacle course.
- Climb over a 40″ wall positioned 10’ into the obstacle course.
- Jump/step over three hurdles (24″, 12″, and 18″) spaced five feet apart located 10’ beyond the wall.
- Run ten feet and enter the serpentine.
- Run through 9 pylons placed in a single row, 5’ apart.
- Run ten feet toward the low crawl.
- Drop to the ground and crawl eight feet under a 27″ open-air barrier.
- Drop the baton beside the last low-crawl pylon.
If participants knock over a hurdle(s) or pylon(s), they must stop and replace the hurdle(s) or pylon(s), then repeat that portion of the obstacle course.
- Participants then stand-up and sprint 50′.
- Grab the 150-pound dummy and drag it 100′ on a cut grass surface. The dummy must be dragged (not carried) by the attached chain.
- Participants then drop the dummy and sprint 50′ toward the pylons.
- Drop into a low crawl and pick-up the baton.
- Enter the obstacle course in reverse.
- Low crawl eight feet under a 27″ high open-air barrier.
- Stand-up and run ten feet toward the serpentine.
- Run in a serpentine manner through nine pylons placed in a single row, five feet apart.
- Run ten feet and jump/step over three hurdles (18”, 12”, and 24”).
- Run ten feet and climb over a 40″ wall.
- Participants then run 220 yards.
- Participants then place the baton on the chair/stool.
- Pick-up the handgun.
- Assume a proper firing position and dry-fire six times using their dominant hand while counting out loud.
- Dry fire six times with the supporting hand while counting out loud.
- Participants then pick-up the baton (keeping the gun) and run to the trunk,
- Place the weapon and baton inside the trunk and close it.
- Run to the driver’s side door and enter the vehicle.
- Close the door and securely fasten seatbelt.
- Place hands on the steering wheel at the ten o’clock and two o’clock positions.
The time stops when the participant places their hands in the correct location on the steering wheel.