Photo/Story Gallery 2004
106th Recruit Class Graduates
On March 25, 2004 the Florida Highway Patrol’s 106th recruit class graduated in a ceremony at the Leon County Civic Center. Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Executive Director, Fred Dickinson, introduced Florida’s Chief Financial Officer, Tom Gallagher, as the Commencement Speaker for the graduation exercises.
Of the 31 graduates, 20 began their training September 22, 2003, in the Basic Recruit Class, while the remaining 11 graduates started January 26, 2004, as members of the Certified Officers Recruit Class. After completing their respective 27 week and 8 week stints at the Academy in training, the Basic and Certified Officer Recruits were eager to receive their diplomas and badges and take their oath of office. The graduates must still complete 10 weeks of field training in their newly assigned districts before they are released to solo patrol.
Class awards were presented by Deputy Executive Director David Westberry and FHP Director Chris Knight:
- Executive Director’s Award: Jacquelyn Hollis
- Class President’s Award: Edward Pope
- Public Speaking Award: Jonathan Gurgel
- Marksmanship Award: Grady Lee, Jr.
- Defensive Tactics Award: Timothy Berg
- Physical Fitness Award(Most Improved): Tommy Rodriguez
- Physical Fitness Award(Best Over-all): Edward Pope
- Director’s Award: Tommy Rodriguez