To:  Tax Collectors and License Plate Agents

From:  Carl A. Ford, Director

Subject:  Questions Regarding Issuance of Electronic Temporary Registrations

Advisory Date:  06/05/08                              Implementation Date:  07/01/08

Advisory Number:  R08-05





Effective July 1, 2008, Electronic Temporary Registration (ETR) will be required for all issuers of temporary license plates with only a few exceptions. 


Tax collectors and license plate agencies have state provided laser printers, which will enable them to print and issue ETRs.  The department will supply them with ETR inventory prior to July 1, 2008.  Due to an increase in toner use, the department will include print-on-demand transactions in its toner calculations for next year. 


Dealers may use a third party provider, tax collector, or license plate agency for their ETR transactions.  Dealers that choose a third party provider to issue their ETRs must ensure these providers have the necessary equipment and inventory prior to the implementation date.  The third party provider must submit $2 to the department for each ETR transaction it processes for a dealer.  Those dealers that do not use a third party provider will obtain their ETRs from a tax collector or license plate agency. 


All other institutions, such as lending institutions, that require an ETR must obtain them from their local tax collector or license plate agency. 


If someone issues an ETR and needs to void the transaction, that tax collector, agency, or third party provider must destroy the ETR in an appropriate manner.  Do not send voided ETR plates to the department. 


Dealers may issue pre-printed temporary license plates only when a system outage occurs or for a trailer weighing less than 2,000 pounds.  For these reasons, dealers should keep a limited stock of pre-printed temporary license plates.  When dealers issue pre-printed temporary license plates for reasons of a system outage, they must notify the department within 24 hours of doing so on a form provided by the department.  See revised RS-31.


If you have any questions or need assistance, please contact your tax collector helpdesk representative.