To: Tax Collectors and License Plate Agents

From: Carl A. Ford, Director

Subject: Executive Order 04-182

Advisory Date: 08/20/04

Advisory Number: T04-10


The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles has been authorized to waive the fees for duplicate or replacement motor vehicle license plates, registration certificates, title certificates, replacement parking placards and duplicate or replacement driver licenses. This will include residents of communities in Brevard, Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Dixie, Duval, Glades, Hardee, Hendry, Highlands, Indian River, Lake, Lee, Levy, Manatee, Monroe, Okeechobee, Orange, Osceola, Pasco, Polk, St. Johns, Sarasota, Seminole, and Volusia who lost these items due to Hurricane Charley which made landfall on August 13, 2004, causing substantial damage to hundreds of homes and businesses in these communities.

The waiver shall be effective for a period of 60 days starting August 10, 2004. In addition, the department is authorized to waive fees imposed by law for late registration renewals or applications for the above documents and licenses, which were delayed due to the effects of the adverse weather conditions. However, the fees imposed for late registration renewals should be waived for the birth month of August only. July birth month renewals do not qualify for a waiver.

Most of these transactions will take place in the affected counties; however, some residents of the counties affected by the hurricane may have relocated to other counties but would still qualify for the exemption. The customer must provide proof they were residing in one of those affected counties at the time of the hurricane. Verifying the zip code associated with the customer's address in FRVIS would be one example. All applicants applying for the exemption should attest that their certificate of title, registration, etc., is destroyed due to the hurricane.

If an affected customer applies for one of the items listed above in a county not affected by the hurricane, you must contact your Help Desk for assistance. A Help Desk representative will set the exempt flag for your agency, wait while you process the transaction(s) and then remove the exempt flag.

Due to the enormous loss of mobile homes in the area, the department has established new policies that apply only to those mobile homes affected by Hurricane Charley. Effective immediately, if an insurance company pays off a claim for a mobile home damaged by Hurricane Charley and wishes to obtain a Certificate of Destruction (C of D), the owner will not have to provide a title to the insurance company. The insurance company should submit an affidavit on their letterhead, which contains the owner’s name(s) and a description of the vehicle to include VIN and/or title number. The C of D would be free of charge.

If the insurance company wishes to obtain a salvage title in their name, they must obtain title as outlined in TL-36, Total Loss Settlements Involving Insurance Companies (Rev. 4/15/04). The owner would have to transfer title to the insurance company. If their title is lost or destroyed, they may apply for a duplicate, free of charge; however, the insurance company would be required to pay for the salvage title.

If an owner receives funds from the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA), wishes to "Junk" their title, and the title is lost or destroyed, they should submit an affidavit which contains the owner’s name(s) and a description of the vehicle to include VIN and/or title number. Please verify the person’s identification using already established methods.

Process the transaction in FRVIS by canceling the title (F10, T, T, A) using the cancel reason of "Junk Title." This transaction does not generate a form HSMV 82041, therefore, write the title number and the words Mobile Home Junk in large font on a blank form HSMV 82041. Attach the affidavit to the form HSMV 82041 and place with the rest of the days work behind the Transaction Summary Report. If they have their title, submit it with the word "Junked" stamped or handwritten across the face of the title. Please submit the above documentation with your Transaction Summary Report.

Requests for replacement license plates should be accompanied by a completed form HSMV 83146, Application for Replacement License Plate.

Instead of requiring the customer to submit a title application (HSMV 82040 or 82101), perform the transaction in FRVIS and have the customer sign the form HSMV 82041, Application for Certificate of Title and/or Registration.

The executive order does not cover original or transfer of title transactions, nor does it cover original, renewal or transfers of registration transactions.

The ability to exempt transactions will conclude October 8, 2004.

If you have any questions regarding the above information, please contact your DMV Field Support Help Desk.