Aggressive Drivers Think Twice
~ Practice patience when driving on the road~
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Beginning today through June 28, the Florida Highway Patrol (FHP) commercial vehicle enforcement troopers will begin the safety campaign Ticketing Aggressive Cars and Trucks (TACT). The campaign seeks to educate motorists about the dangers of aggressive driving around large trucks and reducing commercial motor vehicle related crashes.
“Saving lives on Florida’s roadways is FHP’s number one priority,” said Colonel Gene Spaulding, Director of the Florida Highway Patrol. “We can reduce crashes if we all share the road safely, avoid aggressive driving behaviors and exercise additional caution when driving near larger vehicles.”
Motorists are at a serious disadvantage if they are involved in a crash with a large commercial vehicle. Commercial vehicles can be as long as eighty feet and weigh up to twenty tons. To keep motorists safe on Florida roads, Troopers will be looking for car and truck drivers who display aggressive driving behaviors such as following too closely, speeding and unsafe lane changes.
Motorists should protect themselves and their passengers by learning how to share the road safely. FHP offers these tips for driving around large trucks:
- Stay out of the No Zone: Be aware that large trucks have large blind spots (also known as “No Zones”).
- Pass trucks with caution: Pass on the left side for maximum visibility and maintain a constant speed.
- Do not cut trucks off: Be sure to leave plenty of room when you pull in front of a truck. Large trucks simply cannot stop as quickly as cars.
- Practice patience around larger vehicles that are not traveling at the same speed as your vehicle.
- Don’t drive distracted: Anything that takes your full attention off of the road, even for a second, could be deadly. This includes texting, changing the radio station, talking to passengers, and much more.
For more information about TACT, FHP Commercial Motor Vehicle Enforcement and No Zones, visit: https://www.flhsmv.gov/florida-highway-patrol/about-fhp/
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles provides highway safety and security through excellence in service, education and enforcement. The Department is leading the way to a safer Florida through the efficient and professional execution of its core mission: the issuance of driver licenses, vehicle tags and titles and operation of the Florida Highway Patrol. To learn more about DHSMV and the services offered, visit www.flhsmv.gov, follow us on Twitter @FLHSMV or find us on Facebook. For safe driving tips and techniques, download the official Florida Driver License Handbook.