Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Home | Español | Driver License | Vehicle Tags & Titles | Florida Highway Patrol | Contact Us | Forms | Office Locations

Two more south Florida offices begin handling
driver license and ID cards for non-U.S. citizens.

CONTACT: Robert Sanchez
Public Information Administrator

January 2, 2002

On Thursday (Jan. 3) two more south Florida offices will begin handling applications for driver licenses and ID cards for customers who are not U.S. citizens. These offices are located at 2500 North State Road 7 in Broward County (Margate) and 1315 SW 107 Ave. in Miami-Dade.

The three other Miami-Dade driver license offices already providing this service are at 12601 NW 42 Ave., Opa-locka; 901 NW 39 Ave., Miami; and 14653 SW 122 Ave., in southwest Miami-Dade. Customers may call 305-229-6333 to schedule an appointment at any of these Miami-Dade offices. The two other Broward offices already providing this service are at 8001 Pembroke Rd., Pembroke Pines, and 3708 West Oakland Park Blvd., Lauderdale Lakes. Customers may call 954-497-1570 to schedule an appointment at any of these Broward offices.

In Miami-Dade, Broward, and three other Florida counties (Hillsborough, Orange, and Pinellas) with large numbers of non-U.S. citizens, specific offices have been designated to handle their transactions. In other counties, non-U.S. citizens may go to any office. In all counties, U.S. citizens may use any office, including those designated to handle non-U.S. citizens’ transactions.

Except for citizens of Canada, all non-U.S. citizens applying for a Florida driver license or ID card must present proof of legal presence by providing at least one of the following documents required by Florida law: an alien registration receipt card - Green card-Form I-151 or I-551; an employment authorization card issued by the United States-Form I-688B or I-766; or proof of nonimmigrant classification provided by United States-Form I94, not expired.

Under federal law, Canadian citizens are allowed to stay in the U.S. without obtaining INS documentation. To be issued a Florida driver license or ID card, Canadians must provide proof of Canadian citizenship by presenting two of the following documents: a valid Canadian passport; a Canadian driver license; and/or a certified copy of a Canadian birth certificate.

Customers who have a Canadian driver license but are not Canadian citizens must provide the same proof of legal presence as any other non-U.S. citizen. Customers applying for a driver license will be issued a 30-day paper permit.

Customers applying for an ID card will be issued a receipt. Licenses and ID cards for non-U.S. citizens will be mailed from Tallahassee to the address the applicants supply -- unless discrepancies are found in the documents the applicants provide. The expiration date on all licenses and ID cards issued to non-U.S. citizens will be the same as the expiration date, if any, on their INS documents.

2002 Press Releases       DHSMV Press Releases

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | MyFlorida.com
Copyright ©2008 State of Florida