FOR RELEASE SEPTEMBER 30, 1996:
TALLAHASSEE - Following are significant changes to Florida’s traffic fine structure, effective October 1, 1996:
The current fine for unlawful speed is $52.00, plus $4.25 for every mile per hour over the posted speed limit.
Effective October 1, 1996:
- 1-9 miles over the posted speed limit $25.00 plus court costs
- 10-14 miles over the posted speed limit $100.00 plus court costs
- 15-19 miles over the posted speed limit $125.00 plus court costs
- 20-29 miles over the posted speed limit $150.00 plus court costs
- 30+ miles over the posted speed limit $250.00 plus court costs
SPEEDING FINES WILL DOUBLE IN SCHOOL ZONES AND CONSTRUCTION ZONES ON OCTOBER 1, 1996.
Moving Violations , such as running a red light or stop sign, violation of right of way, improper passing, etc. will increase from $52.00 to $60.00 plus court costs.
Child Restraint Violations - Currently the fine for child restraint violations (under 6 years of age not restrained) is $155.00 plus 3 points on the driver record. Effective October 1, 1996, the fine will be $60.00, plus $10.00 court costs, with three points assessed against the driver record. In lieu of the penalty and the assessment of points, a person may elect, with the courts approval, to participate in a child restraint safety program approved by the chief judge of the circuit in which the violation occured. Upon completion of the program the penalty and points can be waived.