Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Home | Español | Driver License | Vehicle Tags & Titles | Florida Highway Patrol | Contact Us | Forms | Office Locations
FHP Logo

Labor Day Traffic Deaths

FHP Door Seal

FHP Home

FOR RELEASE SEPTEMBER 3, 1996:

TALLAHASSEE - The following is a synopsis of the fatality experience during the 96 hour Labor Day holiday period which began at 00:01 hours, Friday, August 30, 1996, and ended at midnight, Monday, September 2, 1996. The preliminary traffic fatality total stands at 10, which equates to one death every 9 hours and 36 minutes.

* The 10 deaths occurred in 10 separate traffic crashes.

* 5 fatalities (or 50%) occurred during the hours of darkness.

* 2 of the fatal traffic crashes (or 20%) were known to be alcohol-related, 6 (or 60%) remain listed as unknown, with 2 (or 20%) presently classified as not alcohol related.

* Of the 10 deaths, 7 (or 70%) were drivers; 2 (or 20%) were passengers; and 1 (or 10%) was a pedestrian.

* 3 (or 30%) of the 10 fatal traffic crashes occurred during inclement weather.

* Out of the 9 fatalities having seat belts available, 4 (or 44%) were known to be wearing them.

* Of the 10 fatal traffic crashes, 9 (or 90%) were investigated by FHP.

* Of the 10 fatal traffic crashes, 1 (or 10%) occurred in urban areas; with the remaining 9 (or 90%) occurring in rural areas. The 10 fatalities occurred as follows:
ALCOHOL SEAT BELTS INVESTIGATING
FATALITY COUNTY RELATED IN USE AGENCY
01 Volusia No No Deland FHP
02 St. Johns No Yes Palatka FHP
03 Brevard Unknown Yes Cocoa FHP
04 Alachua Yes No Gainesville FHP
05 Alachua Unknown N/A Gainesville FHP (pedestrian)
06 Citrus Unknown No Brooksville FHP
07 Polk Unknown Yes Lakeland FHP
08 Manatee Yes Yes Bradenton FHP
09 Brevard Unknown No Cocoa FHP
10 Leon Unknown No Tallahassee PD

 


FHP News Releases
FHP Station Address & Phone Numbers   |    Regional Communications Centers   |    Mission   |    A - Z Guide

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | MyFlorida.com
Copyright ©2008 State of Florida