Major Ernesto Duarte
Florida Highway Patrol
For Release January 3, 2006:
The following is a synopsis of the fatality count during the 72-hour New Year holiday period, which began at 00:01 hours, Saturday, December 31st, 2005, and ended at midnight, Monday, January 2nd, 2006.
The statistical information provided below represents preliminary figures and covers only those crashes investigated by the Florida Highway Patrol.
The preliminary traffic fatality total stands at 17.
- The 17 deaths occurred in 17 separate traffic crashes.
- 13 fatalities (or 76%) occurred during the hours of darkness.
- None of the fatal traffic crashes were known to be alcohol-related; 10 (or 59%) remain listed as pending; with 7 (or 41%) presently classified as not alcohol related.
- Of the 17 deaths, 4 (or 24 %) were pedestrians; and 4 (or 24%) were motorcyclists.
- 3 of the motorcyclists (or 75 %) were known to be wearing helmets.
- 67% of those killed in the 9 vehicles normally equipped with safety belts were not wearing their belts.
|12/31/05||B||Marion||Motorcyclist/ Driver||Pending ||Helmet/Yes|
| * - MULTIPLE FATAL CRASH|