Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Home | Español | Driver License | Vehicle Tags & Titles | Florida Highway Patrol | Contact Us | Forms | Office Locations
FHP Logo

FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL
PRELIMINARY FATALITY REPORT FOR
FOURTH OF JULY HOLIDAY, 2004

FHP Door Seal

FHP Home

The following is a synopsis of the reported fatality experience during the 96 hour July 4th holiday period which began at 00:01 hours, Friday, July 2, 2004, and ended at midnight, Monday, July 5, 2004.

The preliminary traffic fatality total stands at 32, which equates to one death every three hours.

  • Fatal crashes occurred in 19 of Florida’s 67 counties.
  • The 32 deaths occurred in 27 separate traffic crashes.
  • Six fatalities (or 19%) occurred during the hours of darkness.
  • Six of the fatal traffic crashes (or 22%) were known to be alcohol-related; nine (or 33%) remain listed as unknown; with 12 (or 45%) presently classified as not alcohol related.
  • Of the 32 deaths, six (or 19%) were motorcyclists, and two (or 6%) were bicyclists. No pedestrian fatalities were reported.
  • Five of the motorcyclists (or 83 %) were known to be wearing helmets.
  • Two of the fatal traffic crashes occurred during inclement weather.
  • Out of the fatalities having seat belts available, seven (or 29%) were known to be wearing seat belts.
  • Of the 27 fatal traffic crashes, 24 (or 89 %) were investigated by FHP.
  • Of the 27 fatal traffic crashes, 17 (or 63%) occurred in urban areas; with the remaining ten (or 37%) occurring in rural areas.
  • There were four crashes with multiple fatalities.

The fatalities occurred as follows:

FATALITY     COUNTY ALCOHOL RELATED SEAT BELTS
IN USE
INVESTIGATING
AGENCY
  01         Duval No Yes   FHP
M 02         Duval No N/A   FHP
  03         St. Lucie No Unk   FHP
  04         Duval Yes No   FHP
  05         Putnam Unk No   FHP
  06         Suwannee No Yes   FHP
  07         Alachua No Unk   FHP
  08         Columbia Yes No   FHP
* 09         Martin No Yes   FHP
* 10         Martin No Yes   FHP
M 11         Seminole No N/A   FHP
  12         Palm Beach No Unk   FHP
B 13         Escambia Unk N/A   FHP
  14         Dade Yes Yes   FHP
M 15         Hillsborough Yes N/A   FHP
M 16         Levy No N/A   FHP
  17         Gilchrist Unk Unk   FHP
  18         Collier Unk Yes   FHP
* 19         Orange Unk Unk   FHP
* 20         Orange Unk Unk   FHP
* 21         Orange Unk Unk   FHP
M 22         Okeechobee Unk N/A   FHP
  23         Sarasota Unk No   FHP
  24         Dade Yes No   FHP
  25         Putnam Unk No   FHP
M 26         Dade Yes N/A   FHP
* 27         Dade No No   FHP
* 28         Dade No No   FHP
* 29         Jefferson No Yes   FHP
* 30         Jefferson No Yes   FHP
  31         Orange No No   Ocoee PD
B 32         Palm Bch. Unk N/A   Palm Beach PD


   P - PEDESTRIAN    * - MULTIPLE FATAL CRASH
   M - MOTORCYCLIST    B - BICYCLIST
   + - All Terrain Vehicle (ATV)    

Independence Day Press Release

 


FHP News Releases
FHP Station Address & Phone Numbers   |    Regional Communications Centers   |    Mission   |    A - Z Guide

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | MyFlorida.com
Copyright ©2008 State of Florida