Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Home | Español | Driver License | Vehicle Tags & Titles | Florida Highway Patrol | Contact Us | Forms | Office Locations
FHP Logo

FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL
PRELIMINARY FATALITY REPORT FOR
MEMORIAL DAY HOLIDAY, 2004

FHP Door Seal

FHP Home

The following is a synopsis of the fatality experience during the 96 hour Memorial Day holiday period which began at 00:01 hours, Friday, May 28, 2004, and ended at midnight, Monday, May 31, 2004.

The preliminary traffic fatality total stands at 28, which equates to 1 death every 3 hours and 12 minutes.

  • The 28 deaths occurred in 26 separate traffic crashes.
  • 10 fatalities (or 36%) occurred during the hours of darkness.
  • 3 of the fatal traffic crashes (or 12%) were known to be alcohol-related; 14 (or 54%) remain listed as unknown; with 9 (or 35%) presently classified as not alcohol related.
  • Of the 28 deaths, 3 (or 11%) were pedestrians; 1 (or 4%) was a bicyclist; and 5 (or 18%) were motorcyclists.
  • 4 of the motorcyclists (or 80%) were known to be wearing helmets; the bicyclist was not wearing a helmet.
  • None of the fatal traffic crashes occurred during inclement weather.
  • Out of the 17 fatalities having seat belts available, 5 (or 29%) were known to be wearing seat belts.
  • Of the 26 fatal traffic crashes reported, all were investigated by FHP.
  • Of the 26 fatal traffic crashes, 14 (or 54%) occurred in urban areas; with the remaining 12 (or 46%) occurring in rural areas.

The fatalities occurred as follows:

FATALITY     COUNTY ALCOHOL RELATED SEAT BELTS
IN USE
INVESTIGATING
AGENCY
M 01         Clay Unk N/A   FHP
  02         Hillsborough Yes No   FHP
B 03         St. Johns No N/A   FHP
P 04         Duval Unk N/A   FHP
* 05         Polk No N/A   FHP
* 06         Polk No N/A   FHP
* 07         Dixie Yes Yes   FHP
* 08         Dixie Yes Yes   FHP
  09         Broward Unk No   FHP
  10         Martin Unk Unk   FHP
  11         Hernando No No   FHP
  12         Pasco No No   FHP
  13         Wakulla Unk No   FHP
  14         Duval No No   FHP
P 15         Orange Unk N/A   FHP
M 16         Orange Unk N/A   FHP
+ 17         Orange No N/A   FHP
M 18         Santa Rosa Unk N/A   FHP
  19         Hernando No No   FHP
  20         Palm Beach Unk No   FHP
  21         Osceola Unk No   FHP
  22         Volusia Unk Yes   FHP
  23         Orange Unk Yes   FHP
  24         Polk Unk No   FHP
  25         Sarasota No Yes   FHP
  26         Lee Yes No   FHP
P 27         Glades No N/A   FHP
P 28         Monroe Unk N/A   FHP


   P - PEDESTRIAN    * - MULTIPLE FATAL CRASH
   B - BICYCLIST    M - MOTORCYCLIST
   + - ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE (ATV)     

Memorial Day News Release

 


FHP News Releases
FHP Station Address & Phone Numbers   |    Regional Communications Centers   |    Mission   |    A - Z Guide

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | MyFlorida.com
Copyright ©2008 State of Florida