Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Home | Español | Driver License | Vehicle Tags & Titles | Florida Highway Patrol | Contact Us | Forms | Office Locations
FHP Logo

PRELIMINARY FATALITY REPORT FOR
NEW YEAR'S HOLIDAY, 2004

FHP Door Seal

FHP Home

The following is a synopsis of the fatality experience during the 48 hour New Year's holiday period which began at 00:01 hours, Wednesday, December 31st, 2003, and ended at midnight, Thursday, January 1st, 2004.

The preliminary traffic fatality total stands at 15, which equates to 1 death every 3 hours and 12 minutes.

  • The 15 deaths occurred in 13 separate traffic crashes.
  • 9 fatalities (or 60%) occurred during the hours of darkness.
  • 2 of the fatal traffic crashes (or 15%) were known to be alcohol-related; 9 (or 69%) remain listed as unknown; with 2 (or 15%) presently classified as not alcohol related.
  • Of the 15 deaths, 1 (or 7%) was a pedestrian; 2 (or 13%) were motorcyclists; and 1 (or 7%) was a bicyclist
  • None of the fatal traffic crashes occurred during inclement weather.
  • Of the 11 drivers and passengers killed in vehicles equipped with safety belts, 7 (or 64%) were not using their belts.
  • Of the 13 fatal traffic crashes, 12(or 92%) were investigated by FHP.
  • Of the 13 fatal traffic crashes, 5 (or 38%) occurred in urban areas; with the remaining 8 (or 62%) occurring in rural areas.

The fatalities occurred as follows:

FATALITY     COUNTY ALCOHOL RELATED SEAT BELTS
IN USE
INVESTIGATING
AGENCY
  01         Dade Unk No   FHP
  02         Volusia Unk No   FHP
  03         Marion Unk No   FHP
  04         Marion Unk No   FHP
* 05         Jackson No Yes   FHP
* 06         Jackson No Yes   FHP
  07         Taylor No No   FHP
  08         Palm Beach Unk No   FHP
* 09         Broward Unk Unk   FHP
* 10         Broward Unk Unk   FHP
B 11         Lee Yes N/A   FHP
M 12         Lee Yes N/A   FHP
P 13         Orange Unk N/A   FHP
  14         Orange Unk No   FHP
M 15         Broward Unk N/A   Coral Spgs. PD


   P - PEDESTRIAN    * - MULTIPLE FATAL CRASH
   M - MOTORCYCLIST    B - BICYCLIST
   + - ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE (ATV)    G - GO-CART

Please Note: 2004 Crash Data is Preliminary and is not Final.

The Best Present is Your Presence, Buckle Up!

 


FHP News Releases
FHP Station Address & Phone Numbers   |    Regional Communications Centers   |    Mission   |    A - Z Guide

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | MyFlorida.com
Copyright ©2008 State of Florida