Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Home | Español | Driver License | Vehicle Tags & Titles | Florida Highway Patrol | Contact Us | Forms | Office Locations
FHP Logo

PRELIMINARY FATALITY REPORT FOR
CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY, 2003

FHP Door Seal

FHP Home

The following is a synopsis of the fatality experience during the 48 hour Christmas holiday period which began at 00:01 hours, Wednesday, December 24th, 2003, and ended at midnight, Thursday, December 25th, 2003.

The preliminary traffic fatality total stands at 10, which equates to 1 death every 2 hours and 24 minutes.

  • The 10 deaths occurred in 9 separate traffic crashes.
  • 6 fatalities (or 60%) occurred during the hours of darkness.
  • 2 of the fatal traffic crashes (or 22%) were known to be alcohol-related; 5 (or 56%) remain listed as unknown; with 2 (or 22%) presently classified as not alcohol related.
  • Of the 10 deaths, 3 (or 30%) were pedestrians. No motorcyclist fatalities were reported.
  • 2 (or 22%) of the fatal traffic crashes occurred during inclement weather.
  • Of the 7 drivers and passengers killed in vehicles equipped with safety belts, 4 (or 57%) were not using their belts.
  • Of the 9 fatal traffic crashes, 8 (or 89%) were investigated by FHP.
  • Of the 9 fatal traffic crashes, 2 (or 22%) occurred in urban areas; with the remaining 7 (or 78%) occurring in rural areas.

The fatalities occurred as follows:

FATALITY     COUNTY ALCOHOL RELATED SEAT BELTS
IN USE
INVESTIGATING
AGENCY
* 01         Columbia Unk No   FHP
* 02         Columbia Unk Yes   FHP
  03         Marion Unk Yes   FHP
  04         Marion Unk No   FHP
  05         Duval No Yes   FHP
P 06         Lee Unk N/A   FHP
P 07         Charlotte Yes N/A   FHP
P 08         Miami-Dade No N/A   Miami Bch. PD
  09         Brevard Unk No   FHP
  10         Orange Yes No   FHP


   P - PEDESTRIAN    * - MULTIPLE FATAL CRASH
   M - MOTORCYCLIST    B - BICYCLIST
   + - ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE (ATV)    G - GO-CART

Please Note: 2003 Crash Data is Preliminary and is not Final.

The Best Present is Your Presence, Buckle Up!

 


FHP News Releases
FHP Station Address & Phone Numbers   |    Regional Communications Centers   |    Mission   |    A - Z Guide

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | MyFlorida.com
Copyright ©2008 State of Florida