Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Home | Español | Driver License | Vehicle Tags & Titles | Florida Highway Patrol | Contact Us | Forms | Office Locations
FHP Logo

PRELIMINARY FATALITY REPORT FOR
THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY, 2003

FHP Door Seal

FHP Home

The following is a synopsis of the fatality experience during the 120 hour Thanksgiving holiday period which began at 00:01 hours, Wednesday, November 26th, 2003, and ended at midnight, Sunday, November 30th, 2003.

The preliminary traffic fatality total stands at 34, which equates to 1 death every 3 hours and 53 minutes.

  • The 34 deaths occurred in 33 separate traffic crashes.
  • 16 fatalities (or 47%) occurred during the hours of darkness.
  • 7 of the fatal traffic crashes (or 21%) were known to be alcohol-related; 21 (or 64%) remain listed as unknown; with 6 (or 19%) presently classified as not alcohol related.
  • Of the 34 deaths, 4 (or 12%) were pedestrians; and 7 (or 21%) were motorcyclists.
  • Only one of the 7 motorcyclists (or 14%) was wearing a helmet.
  • 3 (or 9%) of the fatal traffic crashes occurred during inclement weather.
  • Of the 23 drivers and passengers killed in vehicles equipped with safety belts, 13 (or 57%) were not using their belts.
  • Of the 33 fatal traffic crashes, 29 (or 88%) were investigated by FHP.
  • Of the 33 fatal traffic crashes, 15 (or 45%) occurred in urban areas; with the remaining 18 (or 55%) occurring in rural areas.

The fatalities occurred as follows:

FATALITY     COUNTY ALCOHOL RELATED SEAT BELTS
IN USE
INVESTIGATING
AGENCY
  01         Glades Unk No   FHP
  02         Lee Yes No   Cape Coral PD
  03         Okaloosa Unk No   FHP
  04         Columbia No No   FHP
  05         Alachua No Yes   FHP
  06         Marion Yes Yes   FHP
  07         Miami-Dade Unk Unk   Hialeah PD
  08         Escambia Unk Yes   FHP
P 09         Pasco Unk N/A   FHP
M 10         Brevard Unk N/A   FHP
P 11         Volusia No N/A   FHP
  12         Putnam Yes No   FHP
  13         Taylor Unk No   FHP
  14         Pasco Unk Yes   FHP
P 15         Lee Unk N/A   FHP
M 16         Manatee Unk N/A   FHP
  17         Holmes Unk No   FHP
  18         Monroe Unk No   FHP
  19         St. Johns Unk No   FHP
  20         Volusia Yes No   FHP
  21         Jackson Unk N/A   FHP
P 22         Lee Yes N/A   FHP
  23         Hillsborough Unk Yes   FHP
M 24         Hillsborough Unk N/A   FHP
  25         Polk No Unk   Haines City PD
M* 26         Marion Unk N/A   FHP
M* 27         Marion Unk N/A   FHP
  28         Dade Yes No   N. Miami Beach PD
  29         Palm Beach No Yes   FHP
M 30         Broward Unk N/A   FHP
  31         Santa Rosa Unk No   FHP
  32         Leon Yes No   Leon SO
M 33         Palm Beach Unk N/A   FHP
  34         St. John's No Yes   FHP


   P - PEDESTRIAN    * - MULTIPLE FATAL CRASH
   M - MOTORCYCLIST    B - BICYCLIST
   + - ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE (ATV)    G - GO-CART

Please Note: 2003 Crash Data is Preliminary and is not Final.

FHP Will Increase Visibility for Thanksgiving Holiday

 


FHP News Releases
FHP Station Address & Phone Numbers   |    Regional Communications Centers   |    Mission   |    A - Z Guide

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | MyFlorida.com
Copyright ©2008 State of Florida