Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Home | Espaņol | Driver License | Vehicle Tags & Titles | Florida Highway Patrol | Contact Us | Forms | Office Locations
FHP Logo

PRELIMINARY FATALITY REPORT FOR
LABOR DAY HOLIDAY, 2003

FHP Door Seal

FHP Home

The following is a synopsis of the fatality experience during the 72 hour Labor Day holiday period which began at 00:01 hours, Saturday, August 30th, 2003, and ended at midnight, Monday, September 1st, 2003.

The preliminary traffic fatality total stands at 24, which equates to 1 death every 3 hours.

  • The 24 deaths occurred in 22 separate traffic crashes.
  • 7 fatalities (or 29.16%) occurred during the hours of darkness.
  • 3 of the fatal traffic crashes (or 13.63%) were known to be alcohol-related; 12 (or 54.54%) remain listed as unknown; with 8 (or 36.36%) presently classified as not alcohol related.
  • Of the 24 deaths,4 (or 16.66%) were pedestrians; 1 (or 4.16%) was the driver of an all-terrain-vehicle; 1 (or 4.16%) was a passenger in a go-cart; and 2 (or 8.33%) were motorcyclists.
  • 1 of the motorcyclists (or 50%) was wearing a helmet. The go-cart passenger was also wearing a helmet
  • 3 or (13.63%) of the fatal crashes occurred during inclement weather.
  • Out of the fatalities having seat belts available, 5 (or 20.83%) were known to be wearing seat belts.
  • Of the 22 fatal traffic crashes, 17 (or 77.27%) were investigated by FHP.
  • Of the 22 fatal traffic crashes, 9 (or 40.9%) occurred in urban areas; with the remaining 13 (or 59.09%) occurring in rural areas.

The fatalities occurred as follows:
FATALITY     COUNTY ALCOHOL RELATED SEAT BELTS
IN USE
INVESTIGATING
AGENCY
  01         Palm Beach Unk Yes   Palm Beach S.O.
G 02         Lee Unk No   FHP
  03         Washington Unk No   FHP
M 04         Charlotte No N/A   FHP
  05         Marion Unk No   FHP
  06         Collier No No   FHP
  07         Miami-Dade Unk Unk   FHP
  08         Lake Yes Yes   FHP
P 09         Miami-Dade Yes N/A   FHP
P 10         Leon No N/A   Tallahassee P.D.
  11         Okeechobee No No   FHP
P 12         Osceola No N/A   FHP
  13         Sumter Unk Unk   FHP
  14         Miami-Dade Unk Unk   FHP
M 15         Polk Unk N/A   FHP
  16         Duval Unk No   FHP
* 17         Miami-Dade Unk Yes   FHP
* 18         Miami-Dade Unk Yes   FHP
  19         Collier No No   FHP
  20         Sumter No No   FHP
+ 21         Broward Unk N/A   Broward S.O.
P 22         Volusia Yes No   Volusia S.O.
* 23         Volusia No Yes   Volusia S.O.
* 24         Volusia No No   Volusia S.O.


   P - PEDESTRIAN    * - MULTIPLE FATAL CRASH
   M - MOTORCYCLIST    B - BICYCLIST
   + - ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE (ATV)    G - GO-CART

FHP Will Increase Visibility for Labor Day Holiday

 


FHP News Releases
FHP Station Address & Phone Numbers   |    Regional Communications Centers   |    Mission   |    A - Z Guide

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | MyFlorida.com
Copyright ©2008 State of Florida