Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Home | Español | Driver License | Vehicle Tags & Titles | Florida Highway Patrol | Contact Us | Forms | Office Locations
FHP Logo

PRELIMINARY FATALITY REPORT FOR
FOURTH OF JULY HOLIDAY, 2003

FHP Door Seal

FHP Home

The following is a synopsis of the fatality experience during the 72 hour July 4th holiday period which began at 00:01 hours, Friday, July 4th, 2003, and ended at midnight, Sunday, July 06, 2003.

The preliminary traffic fatality total stands at 18, which equates to 1 death every 4 hours.

  • The 18 deaths occurred in 17 separate traffic crashes.
  • 12 fatalities (or 66.66%) occurred during the hours of darkness.
  • 5 of the fatal traffic crashes (or 29.41%) were known to be alcohol-related; 7 (or 41.17%) remain listed as unknown; with 5 (or 29.41%) presently classified as not alcohol related.
  • Of the 18 deaths, 3 (or 16.66%) were pedestrians; 3 (or 16.66%) were motorcyclists.
  • 1 of the motorcyclists (or 33.33%) was wearing a helmet.
  • None of the fatalities occurred during inclement weather.
  • Out of the fatalities having seat belts available, 5 (or 27.77%) were known to be wearing seat belts.
  • Of the 17 fatal traffic crashes, 12 (or 70.58%) were investigated by FHP.
  • Of the 17 fatal traffic crashes, 8 (or 47.05%) occurred in urban areas; with the remaining 9 (or 52.94%) occurring in rural areas.

The fatalities occurred as follows:
FATALITY     COUNTY ALCOHOL RELATED SEAT BELTS
IN USE
INVESTIGATING
AGENCY
B 01         Orange YES N/A   FHP-Orlando
P 02         Volusia No N/A   FHP-Orlando
P 03         Flagler Yes N/A   FHP
  04         Escambia Yes No   FHP-Escambia
P 05         Marion UNK N/A   FHP
M 06         Orange UNK N/A   FHP-Orlando
  07         Collier UNK No   FHP
  08         Gadsden NO Yes   FHP-Tallahassee
  09         St. Johns No No   FHP
  10         Broward UNK No   Hollywood P.D.
B 11         Collier No Yes   FHP
M 12         Osceola NO N/A   FHP
M 13         Escambia UNK N/A   FHP-Escambia
* 14         Leon Yes Yes   Tallahassee P.D.
* 15         Leon Yes Yes   Tallahassee P.D.
  16         Bay Yes No   Springfield P.D.
  17         Brevard Unk Yes   Titusville P.D.
* 18         Palm Bch. Unk No   Palm Bch. Co.


   P - PEDESTRIAN    * - MULTIPLE FATAL CRASH
   M - MOTORCYCLIST    B - BICYCLIST
   + - All Terrain Vehicle (ATV)    

FHP Will Increase Visibility for July 4th Holiday

 


FHP News Releases
FHP Station Address & Phone Numbers   |    Regional Communications Centers   |    Mission   |    A - Z Guide

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | MyFlorida.com
Copyright ©2008 State of Florida