Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Home | Español | Driver License | Vehicle Tags & Titles | Florida Highway Patrol | Contact Us | Forms | Office Locations
FHP Logo
FHP Home

Frequently Asked Questions & Answers

Which car seat is right for my child?
Every driver who transports a child age five or younger must use a crash-tested, federally approved child restraint device. For children up to age three, the restraint device must be a separate carrier or a vehicle manufacturer’s integrated child seat. For children ages four and five, a separate carrier, an integrated child seat, or a seat belt may be used.

Birth to 12 Years Guidelines
What Florida law says

Email Florida Highway Patrol (FHP)

How can I obtain a copy of a crash report?
To request a copy of a crash report that was completed by a member of the Florida Highway Patrol, please contact the local FHP station in the area where the crash occurred.

FHP Stations

For copies of crash reports dating back more than 12 months, please write to:
Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles
Room B-310, MS-28
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0537

When requesting a copy of a crash report, you will need to provide the following information:
1) Exact date of crash.
2) Names of any known drivers.
3) Location, including, city and/or county of the crash.

Please submit this information, along with a Request a Crash Report form, a check or money order for $10 made out to D.H.S.M.V. and a self-addressed and stamped envelope.

Additional Crash Report Information

Email Florida Highway Patrol (FHP)

Can I elect to go to school for a ticket?
A driver who receives a ticket for a moving violation may be eligible to attend a four-hour basic driver improvement course in order to have the points withheld. You can only elect to go to school once within any 12-month period. You cannot elect school more than five times in your life time. Driver License Eligibility Check

You cannot elect to go to school if:
- The ticket is for a criminal violation,
- The ticket was issued out of state, or
- You are a commercial driver license holder (Class A,B, or C) regardless of the type of vehicle you were driving (commercial or personal vehicle).

Please refer to our website or the yellow pages to contact a school near you. The election to go to school must be made with the court of jurisdiction within 30 days of the ticket issuance date. Adjudication withheld-clerk of court dispositions are submitted by the traffic violation bureau.

Email Florida Highway Patrol (FHP)

How do I find information on a specific Florida law and/or statute?
You may find information regarding Florida statutes by visiting the Florida Senate website. You would then type in a key word, phrase or statute number to obtain information regarding your question.

I am interested in a career with the Florida Highway Patrol. How can I find out more information?
Thank you for your interest in a career with the Florida Highway Patrol. You can review recruitment information at www.BeATrooper.com.

Email a Recruiter in your area

Email Florida Highway Patrol (FHP)

How do I report an aggressive driver?
We suggest that you report all incidents of aggressive/careless/reckless driving to local law enforcement at the time of occurrence by dialing 911 or *FHP (*347). Be sure to indicate specific information, such as the make/model of the vehicle, the tag number, the direction of travel, etc. when making your report.

Email Florida Highway Patrol (FHP)

What are the safety belt requirements in Florida?
All front seat occupants must buckle up, even if the vehicle is equipped with an air bag. It is unlawful for any person to operate a motor vehicle in the state of Florida unless each passenger of the vehicle under the age of 18 is restrained by a safety belt or child restraint device pursuant to Florida Statute 316.613.

What Florida law says
Click It or Ticket Florida

Email Florida Highway Patrol (FHP)

How do I pay or dispute a ticket?
Tickets must be paid within 30 days in the county court clerk’s office where the ticket was received. You may use the following website for information on contacting the Clerk of Court offices throughout the State of Florida - www.flhsmv.gov - select office locations - then select the county in which you received the ticket.

To dispute a ticket, you must appear in court in the county where you received the ticket. Details for setting a court date are on the back of the ticket you received or call the clerk’s office in that county for instructions.

I have a Florida license and received a traffic ticket in another state. Will this affect my Florida driving record?
If you hold a Florida license and have received a ticket in another state, they will send the ticket information to Florida to add to your record. You will receive points on your license if the ticket is a point-accessible violation according to Florida Statute 322.27(3). Florida law does not allow any school or program to remove points for a ticket received in another state.

I am moving to Florida, and I want to know if my tickets will follow me?
Yes, the out-of-state driving record will transfer to your Florida driving record. Points will be added to your Florida driving record as if you had received the conviction by a court in Florida. In Florida, points on a ticket are three, four or six points depending on the conviction reported by the court.

Email Florida Highway Patrol (FHP)

While visiting Florida, can I drive with my out-of-state learner license?
Yes, Florida recognizes out-of-state driver licenses. All restrictions that apply to your out-of-state license will also apply while driving in Florida.

While visiting Florida, can I drive with my out-of-state or out-of-country driver license?
Yes, Florida recognizes out-of-state and out-of-country driver licenses. If your license is not in English, it is helpful to have an international driving permit, which is a translation of your driver license.

Email Florida Highway Patrol (FHP)

We are not able to foresee what the volume of traffic may be for any particular day due to the variables involved such as weather conditions, traffic crashes, etc. You may dial 511 from your cell phone to get up to date traffic information. You may also visit their website at www.fl511.com. This website gives you up to date traffic alerts, construction and emergency information, etc.

Email Florida Highway Patrol (FHP)

Contact Florida Highway Patrol (FHP) if you:
  • Have a question not answered in the Frequently Asked Questions section above
  • Want to compliment a trooper
  • Want to make a complaint
  • Have a suggestion to improve our website
  • Have a comment regarding FHP and its operations
  • Do you have a comment, positive or negative, about other personnel besides troopers, including public affairs officers, recruitment officers, duty officers, clerical personnel, or other FHP personnel?

Click here if you have a question about:
  • driver licenses and identification cards

  • vehicle insurance questions

  • problems, and license suspensions and revocations

  • financial Responsibility/Insurance issues

Click here if you have a question about:
  • your vehicle, boat, recreational vehicle or mobile home tag/registration
  • your vehicle, boat, recreational vehicle or mobile home title
  • motor vehicle dealers
  • handicapped placards
  • Motor Carrier Services IRP and IFTA
  • RV/Mobile Home Construction/Installation issues
FHP Door Seal
FHP Station Address & Phone Numbers   |    Regional Communications Centers   |    Mission   |    A - Z Guide

Privacy Statement | Disclaimer | MyFlorida.com
Copyright ©2008 State of Florida