The Florida Highway Patrol conducted Operation Hardhat in the Jacksonville area as troopers participated in the 2008 National Work Zone Awareness Week April 7-11, 2008.
The Florida Highway Patrol has recognized that work zone safety is a growing roadway safety concern for the motoring public and the construction crews who work daily on the various roadway projects improving Florida’s transportation network. In 2006, 1,010 work zone fatalities occurred across the nation. During the same time period in Florida, 119 people were killed in work zone traffic crashes.
Trooper Bill Beck (foreground) and Trooper Garry Bones issue citations to violators.
Sergeant Pat Thomason uses a LASER to clock speeders in work zones.
Trooper Bill Godfrey issues a citation
for speeding within an active construction zone.
FHP Troopers conducted traffic enforcement details across the State of Florida in work zones in an effort to create a safer driving environment for all. Remember, Slow for the Cone Zone.
- Expect the unexpected!
- Slow down.
- Don’t tailgate! Keep a safe distance between you and the vehicle ahead.
- Keep a safe distance between your vehicle and construction workers and their equipment!
- Pay attention to the signs!
- Obey road crew flaggers!
- Stay alert and minimize distractions!
- Schedule enough time to arrive safely at your destination
- Check for traffic information!
- Be patient and stay calm!