Motorcycle Rider Education & Endorsements
So You Want to Be a Sponsor
Below are the steps to become a Florida Rider Training Program (FRTP) Sponsor.
- Locate a suitable area for a range. Area needed is between 102’ x 202’ to 200’ X 300’ unobstructed.
- Obtain a letter of understanding from the property owner stating you have permission to use the property to conduct motorcycle safety courses.
- Contact the FRTP Regional Coordinator listed below for your area to obtain the required new Sponsor forms you will need to complete:
- Panhandle — Michael McMillan (850) 408-4916 MichaelMcMillan@flhsmv.gov
- North Central FL — Ray Zurenda (727) 365-9950 RayZurenda@flhsmv.gov
- Panhandle & North Central FL Assistance — Deborah Falk (850) 617-2571 DeborahFalk@flhsmv.gov
- East Coast FL — Dave Childers (850) 544-6638 DaveChilders@flhsmv.gov
- East & West Coast FL Assistance — Michael Mansfield (407) 719-5022 MichaelMansfield@flhsmv.gov
- Central & South FL Assistance — Jimmy Procopio (941) 376-4366 JamesProcopio@flhsmv.gov
- South FL Assistance — Michael Mansfield (407) 719-5022 MichaelMansfield@flhsmv.gov
- Your FRTP Regional Coordinator will verify the range area and all of your completed forms. Upon review and range verification, the new Sponsor forms will be sent to the FRTP Program Manager or designee, who will sign and forward them to the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) for review and approval.
- The MSF will send a letter of RERP acceptance and range recognition to you and the FRTP Program Manager and/or FRTP Administration.
- Once FRTP receives the MSF letter of RERP acceptance and range recognition, we will provide you with a FRTP New Sponsor Packet containing instructions regarding additional required documentation and a copy of the administrative rule that regulates the Sponsor schools, Chapter 15A-12, Florida Administrative Code (FAC).
- In addition to #7, above, upon receiving the MSF letter of RERP acceptance and range recognition, your range will need to be painted. When the range markings have been painted on your range, the markings will need to be reviewed and verified by your FRTP Regional Coordinator prior to any classes being held at your location.
- When you receive the FRTP New Sponsor Packet, you will need to carefully review Chapter 15A-12, FAC, and if you agree with the rule as implemented (January 2011), you will need to sign the Letter of Authorization and submit the original, signed Letter of Authorization, along with all of the additional required FRTP New Sponsor documents to the FRTP Administrative Office at:
Room A201 MS#97
BMC – Florida Rider Training Program
2900 Apalachee Parkway
Tallahassee, FL 32399
- Once the FRTP Administration office receives, reviews and verifies your FRTP New Sponsor Packet documents and original, signed Letter of Authorization, a countersigned copy of your FRTP Letter of Authorization, which will keep your site/school active for a period of 5 fiscal years. (The fiscal year for the State of Florida runs from July 1st through June 30th) and system log in credentials will be provided to you.
Only when you receive the following will you be able to start conducting classes:
- RERP approval and Range recognition from the MSF
- Verification of your range markings from your FRTP Regional Coordinator and
- The counter-signed FRTP Letter of Authorization and system log in credentials for your program from the FRTP Administration Office