To:  Tax Collectors and License Plate Agents

From:  Carl A. Ford, Director

Subject:  Implementation of House Bill 293 Effective July 1, 2010

Advisory Date:  06/03/10                              Implementation Date:  Immediately                                   

Advisory Number:    R10-03



House Bill 293, which passed during the 2009 Legislative Session, becomes effective

July 1, 2010.  The department is sending the attached letter to dealers explaining how this legislation will affect dealers and their customers.


We are sharing this information with you as you may receive questions from dealers about how the process will work, and we want you to be informed.


We appreciate your help in this matter.


                        If you have any questions or need further assistance, please contact your Field Support Center Help Desk Representative.











A Safer Florida Logo.jpg

June 3, 2010



To Florida Licensed Dealers:


During the 2009 Legislative Session, House Bill 293 amended Florida Statutes requiring all licensed Florida dealers to report to the department electronically the transfer of a metal plate from one vehicle to another.  This law becomes effective July 1, 2010. 


Electronic Temporary Registration System


The Electronic Temporary Registration (ETR) system provides dealerships with the ability to submit license plate transfer information to the department electronically at the time of sale and transfer of the metal license plate.  Below is an explanation of how the electronic process will work:


A customer purchases a vehicle from a dealer and has a metal license plate to transfer to their new vehicle.  The dealer uses the ETR system to enter the individual’s personal and vehicle information.  This information is verified against the department’s motor vehicle database and if everything is in order, it allows the transfer of the registration to the new vehicle.  The dealer may then move the customer’s metal license plate to the customer’s new vehicle.  The customer will leave the dealership displaying his permanent metal license plate on the rear of his vehicle. 


An ETR dealer may issue a pre-printed temporary license plate only in case of an ETR system outage.  The dealer must report the issuance to the department electronically within one business day (excluding weekends and holidays) of issuing the temporary license plate.  Please review additional requirements for issuing a pre-printed temporary license plate as provided in procedure RS-31 Temporary License Plates at the following link


If the ETR system does not allow the metal plate to be transferred, the dealer must issue a temporary print on demand license plate or visit the tax collector’s office to transfer the metal plate.


Electronic Filing System


The Electronic Filing System (EFS) already has the capability of transferring a metal plate to a newly acquired vehicle.  Therefore, an EFS dealer would enter the license plate transfer information, transfer the metal license plate to the new vehicle, and print the new registration for the customer just as they are currently.


These two systems provide law enforcement agencies with instant access to motor vehicle transfer information via DAVID, so there is no confusion about what license plate is assigned to what vehicle.  This is helpful in the event an individual is pulled over by law enforcement after leaving the dealership.






Page 2



Non-ETR or Non-EFS Dealers


A dealer that does not use the EFS or the ETR system must visit a tax collector’s office to have the appropriate transaction performed before allowing the customer to drive the vehicle off the lot.  The appropriate transaction may be the issuance of a temporary license plate, the temporary transfer of a metal license plate, or the issuance of the permanent title and registration.


No Metal Plate to Transfer


If the customer does not have a metal license plate to transfer, the dealer must issue a temporary print on demand license plate or visit the tax collector’s office to purchase the metal plate.


If you have questions concerning this matter, please contact your local Bureau of Field Operations’ office.