DIVISION OF MOTOR VEHICLES
To: Tax Collectors and License Plate Agents
From: Carl A. Ford, Director
Subject: Modifications For The Next FRVIS Release
Advisory Date: 09/15/04 Implementation Date: Next FRVIS Release
Advisory Number: T04-11
The following title issues will become effective with the next FRVIS release:
- Modifications concerning the Certificate of Destruction
- The option to charge duplicate title fees was added to the Original Certificate of Destruction transaction. You will be required to enter YES or NO in the DUPLICATE TITLE field. If the customer applying for the C of D does not have the title certificate for the Florida titled vehicle, answer YES. The system will charge both the duplicate title fees and the original C of D fees. Even in Fast Title offices, only the C of D will print. No title certificate will print, therefore, no Fast Title fees will be charged.
- The system will no longer allow any registration transaction on a vehicle or vessel when a certificate of destruction has been issued for that vehicle or vessel. When a C of D is issued to a Florida titled vehicle, any associated registration will be detached from the vehicle. This will allow transfer of the registration to a replacement vehicle and also prevent a renewal postcard from being printed for the registration. When a C of D is issued to a vessel, the associated registration will be cancelled.
- An original Certificate of Destruction will now charge the $4 Non-game Wildlife fee, if the vehicle was not already titled in Florida before getting the C of D.
- A primary color other than "UNK" will now be required in Original Title or Title Transfer transactions for any vehicle with vehicle type: auto, truck, motorcycle or amphibian. A primary color will also be required on original "Reg-only" registrations. If a primary color is not specified, the transaction must NOT be processed. Do NOT choose an incorrect color just to process the transaction.
- An option has been added to print the legal description of the relationship between the vehicle owners on the certificate of title. During a title transaction, after selecting the owners of the titled vehicle, if there are 2 or more owners, you may select a legal ownership description from the drop down box. The choices are "Life Estate/Remainder Person," "Tenancy By the Entirety," or "With Rights of Survivorship." If no legal ownership description is designated, tab through this new field leaving the default value of No Legal Ownership Description. Consult the title procedures for details of how to use each description. Whenever a legal ownership description is chosen, it will print on the title with the owner names and an abbreviation of the description will print with the names on the 82041.
The following describes how to complete the form HSMV 82040 when selecting one of the above listed legal descriptions:
Life Estate/Remainder Person The name of the life estate person should be shown in the "owner's" area of the form. The remainder person should be shown in the "co-owner's" area. You must still choose "and" or "or", prior to choosing "Life Estate/Remainder Person" as the legal description. Only the life estate person would be required to sign the application for title, as the remainder person would only be a beneficiary.
With Rights of Survivorship The owner must be shown on the form as the "owner." The additional person would be the co-owner and must be shown in the "co-owner's" area of the form. You must still choose"and" or "or," prior to choosing "With Rights of Survivorship" as the legal description. Both owners must sign the application for title.
Tenancy By the Entirety The owner must be shown on the form as the "owner." The co-owner must be shown in the "co-owner's" area of the form. You must still choose "and" prior to choosing "Tenancy By theEntirety" as the legal description. Both owners must sign the application for title.
DMV Procedure TL-18 has been updated to reflect this change and has been posted on the department's website at:
The form HSMV 82040 (Rev. 10/04) has been updated to include an area to choose one of the above options, when applicable. A space was also added to list the "owner's county of residence." You may continue to use any form HSMV 82040 with a revision date prior to 10/04, until your current stock is depleted.
If you have any questions regarding the above information, please contact your DMV Field Support Help Desk.