To: Tax Collectors and License Plate Agents

From: Carl A. Ford, Director

Subject: "Junked" Certificates of Title

Advisory Date: 08/13/04

Advisory Number: T04-09


Effective immediately, if a motor vehicle, mobile home or vessel is being declared as "Junk," the certificate of title may now be surrendered to the local county tax collector's office for processing, in lieu of submitting it directly to the department. This transaction does not currently generate a form HSMV 82041, therefore, write the title number and the words "JUNKED" in large font on a blank form HSMV 82041. This process must be followed until programming has been completed, which will at that time generate a form HSMV 82041 for each "Cancelled (Junked)" transaction. The form HSMV 82041, along with the title (which has the word "Junked" stamped or handwritten across the face) should be placed with the rest of the days work behind the Transaction Summary Report.

DMV procedure TL-35 has been updated to reflect this change and has been posted on the department's website at:

If you have questions regarding this information, please contact your DMV Field Support Help Desk.