August 17, 2004
TO: Tax Collector Agents
FROM: Tommy Edwards
Assistant Deputy Executive Director
For Motorist Services
SUBJECT: Executive Order No. 04-182
Relief Due to Hurricane Charley
Governor Jeb Bush has issued Executive Order No. 04-182, offering financial relief for services to victims of Hurricane Charley, that struck the State of Florida on Friday, August 13, 2004. This Executive Order is effective for 60 days beginning August 10, 2004.
The following guidelines must be followed in all driver license and tax collector issuance offices for residents of the following counties whose personal belongings were destroyed by Hurricane Charley: Brevard, Charlotte, Collier, DeSoto, Dixie, Duval, Glades, Hardee, Hendry, Highlands, Indian River, Lake, Lee, Levy, Manatee, Monroe, Okeechobee, Orange, Osceola, Pasco, Polk, St. Johns, Sarasota, Seminole, and Volusia Counties.
- All residents of the named counties will, upon request, be issued a no-fee Florida duplicate title certificate, vehicle registration, license plate, handicapped parking permit and driver license or identification card. The department will use driving records for identification and indicate on the "Remarks Line" of the issuance: " Identification destroyed by Hurricane Charley".
- All residents of named counties, who have a change of address as a result of Hurricane Charley will receive a "no fee" duplicate vehicle registration, driver license or identification card.
- Delinquent fees will be waived for the residents in the named counties whose driver license has expired and were unable to renew due to offices closed because of Hurricane Charley.
- Delinquent fees will be waived for title and registration transactions of residents of the affected counties whose delinquency occurred and were unable to renew because of Hurricane Charley.
- Fees for DL/ID card issuances in the tax collector offices will be adjusted to waive the $5.25 tax collector fee. This will be accomplished by responding "yes" to the following FDLIS prompts: "Is this a no fee duplicate?" and "Is no fee duplicate due to a defective card?" This will exempt all fees in the issuance. On the "Remarks Line", indicate, "Identification destroyed by Hurricane Charley".