Motor vehicle traffic crashes are the leading cause of death for teens nationwide. To address this public safety concern, the DHSMV/FHP, have created a contest for high school teens called 'Don't Drive iDistracted.' The contest teaches teen drivers to take responsibility and educates about the top behaviors killing people on Florida's roadways: driving drowsy, distracted, aggressive, and impaired and not buckling up.
GOAL: Create a 30-second public service announcement (PSA) that celebrates and promotes the importance of teen safe driving in the state of Florida.
- The video should be created with some combination of copyright free stills, text, video, music, sound, effects, and/or student voice-overs and MUST include credits.
- Length for content should be 30 seconds maximum, not including credits. Video file types .mp4 or .mov will work just fine. Multimedia elements must adhere to copyright guidelines. Submissions that include ANY copyrighted music, footage, or images will NOT be accepted.
- Student creator(s), school, sponsoring teacher(s), and the source of anyone-original, multimedia elements (images and sounds) and permissions must be identified in the credits. The credits may go beyond the allotted time of 30 seconds for the content of the PSA but will be cut for broadcast.
- All accepted submissions may be featured on the DHSMV/FHP website. By submitting your works, you are releasing publication and talent presentation rights to the DHSMV/FHP and are certifying that the work is free of copyright violations.
- Student participation is required.
- Submissions should be faithful to the topic, “Don’t Drive iDistracted!”
DHSMV/FHP is not responsible for lost, late, or misdirected mail or for printing errors, server unavailability, computer or any other electronic malfunction.
All entries received that are duplicates, mutilated, tampered with, illegible, or from ineligible entrants will be void. All entries become the property of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles and will not be returned.
Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (DHSMV) employees or relatives of DHSMV employees and judges of this contest and their relatives, are all NOT ELIGIBLE to participate. The term "relatives" includes spouses, grandparents, parents, siblings, children and grandchildren.
JUDGING OF THE ENTRIES
- Entries will initially be judged to determine a maximum of three (3) finalists based on the following weighted criteria:
- Overall impact: dynamic/persuasive/informational/emotionally moving/content focused message (message must cover topics specified in the contest rules) (50%)
- Originality: concepts/ideas/format (25%)
- Cinematic Style: camera angles; editing; acting; direction/lighting (25%)
- The DHSMV/FHP reserves the right to edit, crop or alter the PSA without notification to or approval by the entrant.
- DHSMV/FHP will announce the first, second, and third place winners in March 2014
- The decisions of the DHSMV/FHP are final.
- The winning PSA will be presented at a Florida Cabinet meeting in 2014.
- The winning PSA will kick off Distracted Driving Awareness Month, April 2014
- Creator and attending high school will get statewide media coverage (Press Release/ Web-Story).
- Winning team will receive an FHP Challenge coin each.
- Videos will be featured on DHSMV’s social media pages.
- Non-placing top 10 semi-finalists from each FHP troop will receive a certificate of recognition from DHSMV.
In claiming a prize, entrants acknowledge that DHSMV/FHP have the right to publicize their names, characters, likenesses, photographs, voices and the fact that they are the finalist(s) and/or winner(s). Said publication will be done for promotional purposes without financial remuneration.
This contest is subject to all applicable laws and regulations and is void where prohibited. You may not violate federal, state or municipal laws during the production of your entry. DHSMV/FHP accepts no responsibility or liability in connection with any injuries, losses or damages of any kind caused by or resulting from the acceptance, possession or use of any prize awarded hereunder
Each school can email DHSMV/FHP at FHPvideoContest@flhsmv.gov for pick-up from the school. Please include number of videos, teacher name, school name, county and address.
Dropped off at a local FHP Station (http://www.flhsmv.gov/fhp/AllTroops/)
Click here for ENTRY FORM