Celebrate Your ‘Independence’ From Impaired Driving
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – The Fourth of July falls on a Friday this year and that means a lot of us will enjoy a three-day weekend. The Florida Highway Patrol urges everyone to be cautious and don’t let the celebrations get out of control.
“Independence Day is a day to celebrate the birth of our great nation with family and friends, enjoying cookouts and fireworks,” said FHP Director, Col. David Brierton. “But people need to use good judgment over the long holiday weekend, so that the celebration doesn’t turn into a tragedy.”
Safety tips from FHP:
- Plan a safe way home before the fun begins.
- Buckle Up. A seatbelt is your vehicle’s most important safety feature.
- Before drinking, designate a sober driver.
- If you’re impaired, use a taxi, call a sober friend or family member, or use public transportation so you are sure to get home safely.
- If you happen to see a impaired driver on the road, don’t hesitate to contact local law enforcement or dial *347.
- If you know people who are about to drive while impaired, take their keys and help them make other arrangements to get to where they are going safely.
- And remember, possession of an open alcoholic beverage container in a vehicle (in motion or stopped) by the driver and or the passenger(s) is a violation of Florida law.
The Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles provides highway safety and security through excellence in service, education and enforcement. The Department is leading the way to asafer Florida through the efficient and professional execution of its core mission: the issuance of driver licenses, vehicle tags and titles and operation of the Florida Highway Patrol. To learn more about DHSMV and the services offered, visit www.flhsmv.gov, follow us on Twitter @FLHSMV or find us on Facebook.